Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2012 13:00

Can I kill MTXHOTPLUGSERVICE.EXE on my R210?

There is a process on Windows 2008 R2 on R210 called MTXHOTPLUGSERVICE.EXE.

I understand is something to do with Matrox video. However hot plug service in the name makes me think - do I really need it? I am using the box remotely through RDP and I dont need to hot plug anything so far.

Can I disable it ?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 10th, 2012 10:00

"Matrox Graphics, Inc. GPU Chipset User Interface. Not needed, can be disabled safely. May interfere with Terminal Services."

systemexplorer.net/.../mtxhotplugservice.exe.html

That may be the best answer you get.  It does not appear in the billions of pages Google has access to that anyone has ever felt the need to try (or at least to document it), so since the purpose of that process is not documented by Matrox (or Microsoft, as it appears they may also use it for native Windows drivers for Matrox devices), the only way one would know is to try.  Since no one has tried, I would recommend you try it and document the results here :)  Worst case scenario:  killing it causes some [probably video] issue, in which case rebooting should restore you to normal operation.

548 Posts

June 10th, 2012 20:00

Also happy it worked for you.

The web link i provided indicates MtxHotPlugService.exe is used by Matrox PDesk (Matrox PowerDesk).

According to Matrox themselves:

"Matrox PowerDesk, available with Matrox display drivers, provides comprehensive multi-display controls to configure and manage program windows. This powerful suite of window management software offers a wide range of utilities for optimal management of message pop-ups and window positioning, including controls over which display dialog boxes and message boxes appear, and how windows are maximized."

and on the drivers page:

"Matrox display drivers usually include a user interface to allow users to change settings that are specific to the graphics hardware and provide a better interface than what's provided by the operating system. With Matrox graphics hardware, that interface is Matrox PowerDesk software. This easy-to-use software includes many industry-first features. The interface for a display driver isn't necessarily required, but features and controls specific to the model of graphics hardware aren't available without such an interface."

This means you should have an uninstallable piece of software (or bloatware depending on ones view) which when removed should also remove MtxHotPlug...

Out of curiosity, did you have any Power Desk software and if so have you uninstalled it and did it take MtxHotPlug... with it?

548 Posts

June 9th, 2012 23:00

Why would you want to disable it? Is having the service causing you any issues?

Versions of MtxHotPlugServices.exe are producted by McAfee Inc., Microsoft Coproration & Matrox Graphics Inc., see http://processchecker.com/file/MtxHotPlugService.exe.html for further details.

The few other google found sites i looked at do not list it as anything nefarious, so again, why disable the service? If you don't want or need the applicable program, then remove it using add/remove programs (or the W2K equivalent) as the above link states.

47 Posts

June 10th, 2012 05:00

I am short on memory. If I dont need it I'd rather kill it...

I dont run antivirus on servers. Never did and never will. This is part of Matrox drivers... My question really is - if I kill this process (this is not services just a process) - would it affect basic server funcitonality or not?

Please note I am not asking - do I need to kill it. Thank you very much sir

47 Posts

June 10th, 2012 10:00

Yeah. good idea. I killed it and nothing happend! I reconnected RDP and it still works. The process hasnt returned as yet. So I think it is OK.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 10th, 2012 11:00

Glad it was uneventful :)

47 Posts

June 11th, 2012 04:00

I just looked. There is an item called "Matrox Graphics Software".. it might be it.. I dont remember me installing it. It might went with the drivers. Not sure..

I cant uninstall it. is too risky. wont be fixed with remote reboot... I am happy to kill the process once in a while (I dont reboot the box really)

548 Posts

June 12th, 2012 01:00

Yeah, i think the driver package includes matrox software but can't say for sure. Also can't say if a reboot will be needed when uninstalling Matrox software :)

You have a solution with killing the process which works for you and next time you take the server off line, you may decide to also uninstall the unwanted software :)

Cheers.

No Events found!