Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2014 15:00

WSMAN identity module update

Hello,

I am able to update BIOS/LC/DRAC firmware all with WSMAN with no problems.

When I try to schedule a firmware update normally and I use the identity module file, the update job never schedules successfully.  

I hav automated the id_module update with Selenium, but this is less than ideal.

Any tips?  Anything is greatly appreciated.

May 29th, 2014 20:00

Hello Alex,

I would just say that some update are no longer able to be scheduled. They have become direct updates, which means they are applied immediately.

Please visit white papers for updates at http://www.delltechcenter.com/iDRAC

Hope this may help.steve

6 Posts

May 30th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for the reply Steve.  I'm sorry but I still don't quite understand.

Can you please confirm if the wsman api is capable of installing the identity module at all?

Using DCIM_SoftwareInstallationService as I would for other firmware updates does not work.  If there is a better way, can you let me know exactly which part of the Lifecycle Controller 2_0 Web Services Interface Guide for Linux I should be looking at?

This is the last piece of our automation puzzle right now, and our identity module was quite expensive, as are our iDRAC licenses =)  It would be really great to have this working.

June 3rd, 2014 11:00

Hi alex,

Yes, WSMAN supports installing the identity module. Please see page 5 of the following paper which describes direct vs staged updates.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20408841.aspx

Regarding WSMAN updates in general, please see the Web Service Interface Guide and Best Practice Guide for examples of performing updates.

www.delltechcenter.com/LC

Best Regards,steve

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your response Steve.

I am currently able to apply firmware updates succesfully using DCIM_SoftwareInstallationService for the bios firmware, the drac firmware, AND the lifecycle controller firmware.

The web service interface guide does not appear to differentiate between direct vs staged updates.  I cannot find the word "staged" anywhere in there when I search the document.

The mystery here is, why does DCIM_SoftwareInstallationService work fine to update firmware for bios, drac, and lifecycle controller, yet using the same procedure fails with the identity module.

Can you please confirm whether or not the web service interface guide does offer differing instructions on how to perform a direct update as opposed to a staged update?

No Events found!