Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

March 1st, 2012 08:00

detailed server hardware inventory

I would like to inventory detailed hardware settings (BIOS, RAID, etc.) of PowerEdge Servers. I see there is OMCI for desktops but this is not supported on servers. The only way I know to do it now is parsing output from omreport, syscfg (DTK) and racadm. I know you can also get lots of info via WSMAN and the idrac but I would prefer not to use this route because idracs are very unstable in my opinion.

I would prefer to do it all via WMI from the OS but the root\cimv2\Dell WMI Namespace doesn't contain the detailed info I need. I am looking to inventory all these settings in SCCM but the solution doesn't need to be SCCM specific.

Thanks for any help!

March 7th, 2012 12:00

Hello,

I'm sorry you see less preference on iDRAC which has come a long way in stability plus enriching its features to help with real needs such as yours.  It would help immensely if you keep all firmware levels up to the latest version so you don't see issues or problems that have been resolved.

You definitely can get detailed hardware settings via Remote Enablement in iDRAC. If you don't have this already, you can learn more starting at en.community.dell.com/.../1979.lifecycle-controller.aspx

Give it a try.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

March 7th, 2012 12:00

You may look at OpenManage Essentials.  www.delltechcenter.com/ome

good luck!

Rob

March 19th, 2012 23:00

If Dell System Inventory Agent (DSIA) is already installed on the server then look at the inventory results at following location 32bit OS:  C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\xcim\xslroot\cm\xml\dellinv.xml

64 bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\xcim\xslroot\cm\xml\dellinv.xml.  

if it is not installed then install the DSIA via SCCM or manual then start the DSIA service.  you can find the inventory results at above location.  

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

May 1st, 2012 14:00

I am not sure why I didn't see your response until now. I am going to give DSIA a try. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

March 20th, 2014 10:00

WSMAN directly to the idrac is definitely the way to go on this.

11th gen idracs needs CSIOR enabled for the hardware inventory to work.

idrac6 since FW 1.90 has been more stable and functional. Before that it was a mess.

idrac7 minus some memory leaks has also been more stable.

No Events found!