Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2010 14:00

iDrac6 - Unable to boot on Virtual iso file:

I have just bought 12 x T610's that I put around the country. I know I could call support about this, but I've tried and it doesnt seem that the knowledge concerning this was available when I called support:

The problem: I am unable to boot from virtual media (iso-file)

I'm not sure how to do this, but I understand that I need to start the remote console and select virtual media > launch virtual media.

Then I add the iso file I would like to boot from.

I've tried booting on it but it does not work.

When I try to Map the drive (still in launch virtual media menu) I get the error:
Drive Error
Either Virtual Media is detached or
Virtual Media redirection for the selected virtual disk drive is already in use.

I've tried this from dozens of different computers and it's no go.

As First boot device, I've tried Virtual CD/DVD/ISO but there's no go.

So. how do I mount ISO files and boot on them? The iDRAC is loaded from another server using IE8 on the same subnet as the server I'm trying to boot (gigabit). The iso file boots fine when mounted using vmware etc (190mb)

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

July 3rd, 2010 03:00

i got the solution from dell support:

i had to open idrac. go to system > console/media, then click configuration and enable virtual media.

i tought i had already checked this, and the cause is that iDRAC has a blue text for the current tab, and black for the tab you are NOT in.

Example:

Console Redirection and Virtual Media Configuration

Wheras Configuration is now NOT active! You have to click Configuration even though it's not marked as a link. Lame programmers :)

5 Posts

July 29th, 2011 14:00

Worked for me

1 Message

January 17th, 2012 23:00

Worked for me too.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2012 23:00

This helped.  Thanks

May 22nd, 2013 06:00

thanks for the follow up, that worked for me

August 11th, 2016 01:00