Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2010 06:00

Dell Reps/Amy - Re:Streak 2.1 Problems - Any Updates Please ?

As this is a support forum I've been monitoring it to look for any support updates from Dell.

Like many other users I have had significent issues with the Streak since the update to 2.1. As well as the numerous functional issues (camera, browser, keyboard, "rooms") I have also found stability so poor as to make the device unusable for me. Under 1.6 it was a really nice phone that appeared to have great unlocked potential.

Under 2.1, if the device is running any application (such as a music player for example) it will restart itself roughly every 30-45minutes. Restart may not be the correct phrase as it often gets stuck on the Dell splash screen and requires the battery to be removed.

Rather than go back to 1.6 manually or put my hope in a homebrew 2.2 being put together I'd appreciate an update from Dell on what efforts are ongoing to fix 2.1. I remember seeing a comment from Amy about "daily conference calls", suggesting urgent attention, but I've seen no updates coming out of these and no comment on any commitment to fix the build.

As an example of the impact of the 2.1 update on a user of your device....

One of the primary reasons for buying an Android phone was to allow me to develop an app that would use proximity alarms/SMS alarms during my 1 hour motorcycle commute, letting my family know where in the journey I was.

The app worked great under 1.6 on a number of devices, it continues to work well on 2.1 and 2.2 devices that I have also tested it on. Running it on the streak is now pointless as the phone will restart well before my journey is complete. And before anyone asks, the restarts happen regardless of the app running and started immediately after 2.1 and before I re-installed my app.

That leaves me with a fairly pointless device until Dell front up some fixes.

Perhaps Dell could consider putting some resources into providing a vanilla, non-customised, but fully tested 2.2 build ? I know from the Streak OS dev chat from before the device was released that you have a fairly small Streak OS dev team (5-7 people I seem to remember) but surely one can be asked to provide an update on current plans ?

Any comment from Dell would be very welcome. Thanks.

No Responses!
No Events found!