Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2010 16:00

Dell Streak 2.1 - isn't recognised by Dell PC Suite

Hi all

Updated my Dell Streak with the 2.1 update - yay!  But now Dell PC Suite doesn't recognise my phone, so I can't sync it - boo!

I remember there were options on 1.6 to link as a phone only, but I don't have the same options now.  Anyone got any ideas???

Plus - another niggle is that Google Maps now crashes every time I open it :-(

Feel like reverting to 1.6 :-(

Cheers

Tracy

2 Posts

September 5th, 2010 08:00

I thought it was me I've got the same problem with syncing. I've got 2 computers one with windows 7 the other with XP and neither of them can sync. Been onto O2 and they gave me a link to a new update because of "problems" people have been having but it still didn't work although the phone seems a bit more stable than it was, the phone would shut down and not restart until I removed the battery.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/LatestBuild/LatestBuild_21.html

O2 were supposed to get back to me but the chap I was talking to has gone home until tomorrow.

steve

6 Posts

September 5th, 2010 09:00

Same problem here. Now can't get any of my contacts or appointments back onto the phone! When you connect the USB, although the pc will recognise the external drive, Dell PC Suite maintains the phone is not connected. Tried reinstalling PC Suite as "advised" by O2. Yeak, like that was gonna work!

Come on Dell, sort these issues out and quick. Like it or hate it, you don't get these issues with an iPhone. And by the way DELL, give your buddies at O2 some TRAINING because they - you can't speak DIRECTLY to their help desk - just have to hold whilst someone with absolutely no technical literacy whatsoever asks your questions on your behalf!  Then they say to phone Dell direct, because THEY don't MAKE the phone - so, OK lets give that a try - what's the number? THEY DON'T KNOW!!! Wonderful support from their sole carrier in the UK! Aaaagh.

Finally, is it possible to get the "old" keyboard back - i.e. including the numeric keypad to the side? (Might have to start a new thread).  Really helpful feature which set it apart from all other smart phones. Along with the reduced screen space, seems that Dell's idea of progress is to take away features that sold it to us in the first place!!!

6 Posts

September 5th, 2010 10:00

OK. Update on my earlier reply to your post.

Just spent 2 hours on phone to O2 & Dell. ITS OFFICIAL FROM DELL - Dell PC Suite isn't compatible with 2.1. Got to wait until 2.2 is issued. And you can't reinstall 1.6.

And there's more - O2 won't do anything about it because its PC software - i.e. the phone is fine.

BUT Dell have agreed to collect the phone, take it away, reinstall 1.6 and return within 5 - 10 days! Phone them on 08444 443 244. It's all meant to be free of charge!

But all they are really doing is inconveniencing you just to get your phone back as it was! They say that they have now become aware of the problem, and "hope" that 2.2 issue will be compatible (or vice versa).

In other words, they didn't test it. At the very least, they should have issued a warning with the upgrade. Oh well.....

2 Posts

September 9th, 2010 11:00

After my last post my phone kept freezing and I had to take the battery out and restart so I got onto 02 who tried the reset, hold both volume keys down and turn on choose factory reset and press the camera button, didn't do a thing. Apparently there is a fix which they send to you computer and you can then connect your phone and fix it great seeing as the main problem is it won't connect to the computer anyway so I asked if it could be sent to my streak, which is a computer and was told it couldn't. Anyway they arranged to swap my phone for a new one which was done next day so no inconvenience other than having to load all the wap and mms settings manually but at least my phoe is back to normal. So if you got your phone thru O2 give them a call and they do move fast so I can't fault them, The telephone no. they gave me was 08009 777 337  option 4. Just waiting  for 2.2 now but will check the forums before I upload this time.

370 Posts

September 9th, 2010 12:00

Hi Folks,

Please go here http://cot.ag/bZQE5D to download the latest PC Suite if you have upgraded Android to 2.1. This should fix the sync issue.

Long address:

If possible, please post your results here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19345723.aspx

Thanks!

Amy

2 Posts

September 11th, 2010 12:00

Well, thanks for all the replies - I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems! Trouble was, I upgraded to 2.1, and then had to go away for a week, and I was worried that I'd have no calendar or contacts on the phone - but I managed to get them on using CSV to googlemail, then syncing with that - not ideal, but at least I could go away with my data intact!

So - going to try the 2.1 fix and the PC Suite upgrade tomorrow - and then send it back for a 1.6 reversal if they don't work!  Fingers crossed - but hope that Dell/o2 learn lessons from this for the 2.2 release!!!

September 14th, 2010 07:00

I have downloaded this software but still unable to get my streak to connect to my pc it does't even give me the icon in the task bar also I have noticed today that the voice dailing isnt working and i have lost the front camera option in camera mode. I wish hadnt down loaded android 2.2 I lost so much saved information of my phone

come on dell get your act together and sort this out.

Regds Alan.

370 Posts

September 21st, 2010 12:00

Hi Alan,

Can you tell me if you were able to download the DellPCSuite update I recommended below, unzip it and run the installation program? After the installation ran, did you get any messages? Did you see the window below?

Thanks,

Amy

September 23rd, 2010 06:00

Unzipped it and installed right the way through the proccess and clicked finish still wont reconise my phone when connected and will not leave dell icon on taskbar.

regds Alan.

370 Posts

September 29th, 2010 09:00

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Can you see the Dell PC Suite program in the Start menu (i.e. Start button - All Programs - Dell - Dell PC  Suite)?  If not, its possible you may have an O/S (operating system) or 3rd party softwae issue. The quickest way to find out is to follow these steps before reinstalling the PC Suite program:

1. Make sure you download the file using Internet Explorer. Save it to your system, rather than running it from the web site. Also, don't use the Dell Driver Download Manager nor the "Add to Download List" option. Stick with the blue "Download" button on the driver page.
  2. Close all other programs and services temporarily.
  3. Turn off you antivirus/security software temporarily.
  4. Right-click on the downloaded file to install as Administrator

Steps 2 and 3 can be tricky if there are items running in the background. A quick way to ensure everything else is off, click on Start - Run and type in "MSCONFIG". Go to the "Services" tab, check off the "Hide all Microsoft Services" box, then click the "Disable All" button. Click on the "Apply" button, then move over to the "Startup" tab. Click on the "Disable All" button, then click "Ok" to save and reboot.

Try the installation at this point. Afterwards, go back into MSConfig on the "General" tab, change it back to "Normal Startup" and reboot. This will restore your previous settings.

If this process works, this means you had some other software/process running that would not allow the full installation of the Streak software.

Thanks,

Amy

September 30th, 2010 23:00

"

Unzipped it and installed right the way through the proccess and clicked finish still wont reconise my phone when connected and will not leave dell icon on taskbar.

"

that was great to know about this on how to installed ....It really help us here..thanks again...

Just keep on posting...

October 11th, 2010 07:00

Hi tried this still does,nt recognice my phone but does pick up the micro sd card in it and what is on it.

Regds  Alan.

Hi also noticed this week that all my contacts are mixed up for instance addresses under totally diffrent contacts and diffrent telephone no and email addresses could'nt figure out why i kept getting the wrong person when i used my contacts menu.

Regds Alan.

9 Posts

October 13th, 2010 07:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

@Dell-Amy B: Thank you for being active in this.

I have followed your method and the results are as before. The Streak is not recognised by Win7 as a USB device and the contents of the SD card are not therefore visible.

I have no interest in Sync or Backup so haven’t tried that.

Crucially in Device Manager /Android Phone Android Composite ADB Device is shown as OK but there is an error by Android Bootloader Interface.

What to do next? Not much I expect until Dell works on its software.

1 Message

April 11th, 2011 03:00

Hi Tracy,

Please check your link to download DELL PC Suite for XCD 28 on Android 2.1, it is not working.

Another question, I want to upgrade XCD 28 to Android 2.2 can you guide me how to do it?

Thanks,

SUman

No Events found!