Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

January 13th, 2011 10:00

hi

did anyone out here actaully get the update or am i missing something. is there someone from Dell or At&T that will give us a detial reason be hind the delay to settle the mind of the people. I find the phone to be good and I would tell others to buy it. The point of pain is the OS ver. and Dell or AT&T lack of response to the consumers. I think that Dell should actually sell this device to give the apple people a fight for their consumers. We the epeople end with a better product and it comes at a lower price. At this point, Dell and AT&T need to reslove the issue so that it will stop the movement of Iphone users to Verizon. Plus, if they can provide more of a Itunes like interface that would be good, so that we can put the phone into recovery and user their program to recover the phone and restore installed apps.

January 13th, 2011 10:00

don't hold your breath :emotion-7:

6 Posts

January 13th, 2011 11:00

I am patiently waiting for the update, if i don't get it soon then i don't have any choice but return this device. I don't get it dell has made a great device but this is frustrating, not to mention that accessories from dell itself are taking like 3 weeks to ship.

Some official information out here would be greatly appreciated and i would like to read the post which was deleted.

12 Posts

The post that was deleted seemed harmless but who knows why it was removed but here it is:

originally posted by: moussanijmeh

hi

did anyone out here actaully get the update or am i missing something. is there someone from Dell or At&T that will give us a detial reason be hind the delay to settle the mind of the people. I find the phone to be good and I would tell others to buy it. The point of pain is the OS ver. and Dell or AT&T lack of response to the consumers. I think that Dell should actually sell this device to give the apple people a fight for their consumers. We the epeople end with a better product and it comes at a lower price. At this point, Dell and AT&T need to reslove the issue so that it will stop the movement of Iphone users to Verizon. Plus, if they can provide more of a Itunes like interface that would be good, so that we can put the phone into recovery and user their program to recover the phone and restore installed apps

12 Posts

Well it does seem the forum is monitored as the last poster had his post deleted. Yet I got it in an email form as an update to the forum. With the lack of support and info on this issue the Dell Venue Pro will flop. No one will buy a phone with suck poor support and little hope for OS updates.  If anyone would like to know what was deleted I will post the email and hope it makes it through.

13 Posts

January 13th, 2011 12:00

as I have said before, the forum is MODERATED not MONITORED. The moderator is clearly a minimum wage monkey with delusions of grandeur who deletes anything that takes his fancy because it makes him feel big and powerful. 

I have had many posts deleted for no reason, did not contain any bad works etc. They will also delete your posts for telling others that they deleted your posts, so this one will probably be deleted as well.

Shame they can't put that much effort into support.

12 Posts

January 13th, 2011 13:00

http://www.facebook.com/dell#!/dell

Dell's FB page....maybe it'd be harder to ignore us if we yell loud enough fo EVERYONE to hear us....I already posted on their page....citing this thread.....

13 Posts

January 13th, 2011 14:00

Guys really... It's a 20-30 minute DIY project.

I'm no computer whiz or professional IT guy or anything. I just followed the instructions and updated my phone myself.

Go over to http://streakdroid.com/?page_id=92 and get the stuff and watch the two little vids and you can be running 2.2 within the hour.

Or... just wait. ;-)

21 Posts

January 13th, 2011 14:00

How about this, we are all awaiting the arrival of the freaking update...so dell and at&t  they just gotta get their act together and release it....by the time that they do it will be ready for 2.3 and 2.4 (summer 2011) Ice cream...is coming about already...

CAN WE JUST GET THE UDPATE ALREADY......TODAY IS THE 13TH OF JANUARY....2011 NOW WHERE IS IT...LETS DO THIS ALREADY....

15 Posts

January 13th, 2011 15:00

+1

I did this on both mine and my gf's black streaks att brstbuy 1.6 update with qdl to 2.2  then att update page for official dell 2.2

12 Posts

January 13th, 2011 15:00

I updated via the QDL tool as well....

still......WTH Dell? lol

January 13th, 2011 18:00

hi

So I called At&T to see the correct time of update to the froyo software for my dell streak. The phon support stated spring of this year. So What am I missing. Will anyone actually say something. He stated that he could not find a document with detail reason for the delay. Again at 2:30 p.m. PST on th 13th of Jan of 2011, I was told sometime this spring for the dell streak froyo 2.2 update to be released.

thanks

moses

21 Posts

January 13th, 2011 19:00

So can someone please point me to the Best link for the 2.2 froyo update and files and links with instructions so that i can learn to update my dell streak...thank you..

SINCE DELL AND AT&T ARE PLAYING GAMES WITH US...I THINK THAT WE SHOULD ALL CALL IN TO DELL AND AT&T AND KEEP ASKING THE SAME QUESTION THAT WE ALL HAVE BEEN ASKING WHERE IS THE UPDATE TO FROYO 2.2....AT LEAST WITH IPHONE ITUNES WOULD TELL YOU RIGHT AWAY AND BAM YOU CAN CHOOSE TO INSTALL OR NOT FOR A LATER TIME WE DON'T EVEN GET THAT OPTION AT THE MOMENT IT'S SIT AND WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT....READY FOR THE UPDATE...

WHERE'S MY UPDATE....DANG IT....SERIOUSLY.....

6 Posts

This QDL tool seems to be for baseband version GAUSB1A130500 and US streaks on AT&T come with baseband version which ends with 31. But still i am tempted to try this tool out :)

15 Posts

After careful thought and all the conflicting information given different people from Dell I have decided to return the streak and go back to iPhone.  Sorry Dell but you lost me on this one.

No Events found!