Armando_maxim
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 11 Pro Travel Keyboard - touchpad isn't responding

Jump to solution

Hello I have venue 11 PRO 7130 with Intel core I3 and I had the same problem.

At the begining everything worked well. I updated the tablet to the Last Bios (A09) and and the issue come up.

the touchpad still works but is uncontrollable while the keybopard works welll.

I do not think that is related to Bios actually. I have also the Slim keyboard and the I have no problem with the touchpad but just some occasional diconnection that recovers after pressing the windows button.

I'm waiting for a replacement hoping the new keyboard does not have this issue.

I would like to see somebody of DELL repling.

0 Kudos
taniemin
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Exactly the same problem here with 7130. Everything is updated to the latest version available. Problem started few days ago, everything else works on Travel Keyboard but the touchpad. Very annouying problem.
0 Kudos
chazthespaz
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I had the same problem V11P 5130 with tablet keyboard - mobile. After two months the touchpad stopped working. The keyboard still works fine. After reading through the Dell forums I thought it was a hardware problem. However, I may have stumbled onto a solution. I know the "Critical Firmware Update" is for the touchscreen of the tablet not the touchpad of the keyboard, but it is relative somehow. This solution worked for me: 1. Make sure windows update is current 2. Make sure the latest bios update is installed (3-5-14) 3. Undock the tablet from the keyboard 4. Go to My Dell and install the critical firmware update for the touch screen, It doesn't matter if you installed it before, In my case it said it was already installed 5. Attach the tablet to the keyboard and re-start. The touchpad should be back in business! Please let me know if this works for you.
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Turns out mine was a fault with the hardware (internal plug loose I suspect). I don't recommend this but I brought this dock in the US but I live in Spain. No return possible. So I opened it! (Again not recommend only do this if you have experience in such things) The dock itself has 4 screws behind the rubber feet underneath it. Once the screws are out, open up the dock using plastic to pry it open from the plastic bottom to the metal top half of the keyboard. Its hard to open at first, once open work your way around. Inside I removed and reseated all plugs to the battery, usb charge ports, leds etc. I did find the plug from the dock connectors to the motherboard in the dock was not sitting 100% flush. Seems that was the issue in my unit. I have put a bit of Loctite on the connectors to stop any movement in the future. Here is a video of what I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHA0kct6WI Sorry for the video I had no tripod on hand.
0 Kudos
andyfreib
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Tried the firmware fix suggested by chazthespaz, and it worked! I had not done the update and after doing it the first time there was no change, so I did it again and as you say, the touchpad is back in business, Thanks! I noticed that this issue seems to be linked to the mobile keyboard battery. When the keyboard has been drained to 0 and one tries to charge, the touchpad seems to be deactivated. It's up to Dell to fix this properly, but for the moment I'm happy to have full functionality back. The V11P 5130 is a good device let down by some flakiness. Generally, I'm happy though as long as this touchpad fix holds!
0 Kudos
taniemin
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Mine started working after the update too. But I think you are right that the problem is related to battery, or charging, touchpad stopped working after I charged keyboard separately and then connected it. There are also some connection issues between keyboard and the screen, if the screen is not completely turned to open position so it's resting against the back of the keyboard, either keys and/or touchpad won't work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Even after opening it my touchpad stopped working again after fully charging the battery. I cracked open the case again. Removed the battery connector and my touchpad works. Connect the battery and the touchpad stops working again.

This is with a fully charged mobile dock battery, once the battery dropped to 90% or so on the keyboard I replugged the battery connector and its working again. Seems like the battery or charge from it is causing some fault with the circuitry 

If it fails again I will just remove the battery all together, at least it will work!

0 Kudos
BetterOff84
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Confirmed that this is the exact same issue with my keyboard touchpad. After full discharge it works and then once charged it no longer functions.

I opened a case with Dell support and they tried to set me up for a motherboard replacement. I explained that I already had an A01 motherboard and they are now sending a new keyboard (which I'm sure will have the same issue). They told me if that does not work, they will replace the motherboard. Apparently this isn't a well know issue yet.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Well there are a few of us now and I think it will be common as more people use the mobile travel keyboards. I have also learnt when fully charged disconnected from the tablet it seems ok.

But if I leave my dock fully changed and connected to my V11p it will then over a certain amount of time cause the touchpad to die on me. Very odd faulty, but its a fault alright.

0 Kudos
BetterOff84
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I received my replacement keyboard. The new replacement works great even with a full battery charge. They even let me keep the old keyboard with the unusable battery.

0 Kudos