Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2014 18:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro Travel Keyboard - touchpad isn't responding

I purchased the DVP11 with the travel keyboard, and the touchpad has stopped responding after initially working. The keyboard is fully charged, as is the DVP. All other keys on the keyboard work. Dell Support tried updating the BIOS and several driver settings, but no change. Thoughts before I send the keyboard back?

March 19th, 2014 11:00

Turns out mine was a fault with the hardware (internal plug loose I suspect). I don't recommend this but I brought this dock in the US but I live in Spain. No return possible. So I opened it! (Again not recommend only do this if you have experience in such things) The dock itself has 4 screws behind the rubber feet underneath it. Once the screws are out, open up the dock using plastic to pry it open from the plastic bottom to the metal top half of the keyboard. Its hard to open at first, once open work your way around. Inside I removed and reseated all plugs to the battery, usb charge ports, leds etc. I did find the plug from the dock connectors to the motherboard in the dock was not sitting 100% flush. Seems that was the issue in my unit. I have put a bit of Loctite on the connectors to stop any movement in the future. Here is a video of what I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHA0kct6WI Sorry for the video I had no tripod on hand.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 05:00

Tried the firmware fix suggested by chazthespaz, and it worked! I had not done the update and after doing it the first time there was no change, so I did it again and as you say, the touchpad is back in business, Thanks! I noticed that this issue seems to be linked to the mobile keyboard battery. When the keyboard has been drained to 0 and one tries to charge, the touchpad seems to be deactivated. It's up to Dell to fix this properly, but for the moment I'm happy to have full functionality back. The V11P 5130 is a good device let down by some flakiness. Generally, I'm happy though as long as this touchpad fix holds!

March 22nd, 2014 12:00

Even after opening it my touchpad stopped working again after fully charging the battery. I cracked open the case again. Removed the battery connector and my touchpad works. Connect the battery and the touchpad stops working again.

This is with a fully charged mobile dock battery, once the battery dropped to 90% or so on the keyboard I replugged the battery connector and its working again. Seems like the battery or charge from it is causing some fault with the circuitry 

If it fails again I will just remove the battery all together, at least it will work!

March 24th, 2014 15:00

Well there are a few of us now and I think it will be common as more people use the mobile travel keyboards. I have also learnt when fully charged disconnected from the tablet it seems ok.

But if I leave my dock fully changed and connected to my V11p it will then over a certain amount of time cause the touchpad to die on me. Very odd faulty, but its a fault alright.

March 24th, 2014 15:00

Confirmed that this is the exact same issue with my keyboard touchpad. After full discharge it works and then once charged it no longer functions.

I opened a case with Dell support and they tried to set me up for a motherboard replacement. I explained that I already had an A01 motherboard and they are now sending a new keyboard (which I'm sure will have the same issue). They told me if that does not work, they will replace the motherboard. Apparently this isn't a well know issue yet.

March 31st, 2014 14:00

I received my replacement keyboard. The new replacement works great even with a full battery charge. They even let me keep the old keyboard with the unusable battery.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2014 00:00

That's a good news, have to get me a new one. I was stupid enough to connect the charger again to the keyboard, it was connected only for few seconds and lost the touchpad...again. So it seems that just connecting the chargers is enough to create the problem.

1 Message

April 16th, 2014 14:00

Same situation here. We bought a Venue 11 Pro, travel keyboard, and dock for testing at our office.

The on-screen keyboard absolutely sucks (either not typing characters, or doubling or tripling the number of characters per key touch, making password entry a long 2 or 3 try process).
The power connection for the dock will disconnect at the slightest touch or bump of the dock.
You must use a keyboard with the dock since the soft keyboard is disabled when docked.
AND, the touchpad quit working after we had it for a couple weeks. It has been in my office, on my desk since new, barely even handled, and stopped working today.

I removed the back cover, re-seated the connections, and it started working again.

One thing to note, if you take the cover off, you will likely break some of the tiny internal plastic retaining clips. I was ultra careful removing it (I have tools for this kind of work) and still managed to break 2 of them off, resulting in a tiny gap in the case after reassembly.

17 Posts

April 24th, 2014 06:00

I'm glad i found this post.  I was racking my brains as to why the touchpad had stopped working on my mobile tablet keyboard.  Tried all the BIOS, firmware, driver updating, registry changes etc. all to no avail.

Have realised after reading this that it was only after I charged the keyboard directly that it stopped working.

Will call Dell now for a replacement

6 Posts

April 28th, 2014 11:00

We're seeing the same problem here with two mobile keyboards on the DVP11. One was replaced under warranty but the replacement has just failed as well. We found also that on one mobile keyboard the touchpad worked when the keyboard battery was drained. Once it was even partially recharged the touchpad failed again. This happens in spite of all components being updated to the latest BIOS, firmware, and driver sets.

17 Posts

April 29th, 2014 03:00

I raised a case with Dell and they are sending me a replacement keyboard. Well, at least they would if they had ANY stock in Europe. Don't know how long i'm going to have to wait. In the meantime, I asked one of my technicians to take the battery out of the keyboard and viola! the touchpad started working again. It's clear the root cause is the battery in this keyboard. So now I am using the mobile keyboard, without a battery inside and it's working flawlessly. My obvious complaint being I bought this keyboard for the additional battery, and now without it I have less usage time plus the bloody thing keeps falling over when I tap the screen (as there's no weight in the keyboard anymore!) Sort it out Dell. You clearly rushed a product to market here without doing some thorough testing :(

April 29th, 2014 07:00

I had to do the same, but all that is needed to fix it is unplug the cable. The battery can stay there as a counter weight. No need to remove it. As your tech guy to put the battery back in but not plug it in and the keyboard and touch panel will work.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2014 03:00

I can confirm after taking it apart and reseating all the connections, having the battery disconnected makes the touchpad and keyboard function again. But I didn't stop there. While the keyboard was docked to the tablet, I reconnected the battery to the mainboard. After full charge, disconnection, and reboot of the machine, I've managed to get all three (keyboard, touchpad, battery) working!

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 09:00

Yesterday I also performed similar testing by disconnecting the battery and noting that the touchpad then worked. Upon reconnection of the battery the touchpad stopped working. This was after I had charged the mobile keyboard unit by itself. With so many of these mobile keyboards showing the same failure I find it hard to believe that Dell's beta testers did not also known about this.

Where is the fix for this, Dell? Your corporate customers are not happy.

May 3rd, 2014 20:00

My Keyboard finally came after about a month of waiting. I'm not sure I'm having the same issue you are describing but the keyboard (both keys and track pad) become inactive randomly. The Cap Lock LED also doesn't function. I have to press the sleep/power button on the 5130 twice to get it to wakeup. It is still showing connected in Windows as I can see the 2nd battery.
No Events found!