Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2014 14:00

Dock Power Connector Flaky

Hi,

We have a number of the Dell Docks for the Venue Pro 11 and the power connector for the dock is very flaky, it can very easily fall out if the dock is moved in anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem? We already sent one dock back to Dell and got the very same issue with the replacement, and our 3 other docks also have a loose power jack.

Luke

109 Posts

February 19th, 2014 06:00

Same problem here. The inside connection is too far from the power cable. I was going to drill out the hole so the connector will fit further into the dock but it looks like the entire system will be returned to Dell. Tablet bricked, stylus issues, Dock issues, slim keyboard lacks magnets in front, production issues, service issues.

Michael Dell has a lot of explaining to do!!!!!!

5 Posts

February 19th, 2014 13:00

Ours don't sound quite as bad but they are loose. Unless the connector is pushed all the way in it doesnt work, and it doesn't take much to make it come out a little and fall out. I find I dont move the dock much so it is not really a problem.

109 Posts

March 4th, 2014 14:00

I discovered a very simple quick fix for this problem.

Take a very sharp knife and run it around the rubber part of the plug end about 2-3mm from the edge and  slide the cut rubber off. The plug now goes further in and fits TIGHT.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2014 06:00

confirmed. but that is only part of the problem with the dock: the other is that as soon as you dock it, the pop-up keyboard is disabled. Why? Login is cumbersome and entering text in the metro mode impossible :emotion-12:

109 Posts

April 1st, 2014 07:00

There should be a touch button at the bottom left where you can select the "Ease of use" keyboard to sign on.

There are additional options in the " Charms - Settings - Change PC Settings" to add the Standard Keyboard layout and On-Screen Keyboard options.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2014 08:00

sure I can use the Ease of Use keyboard to sign in.

My point is I should not have to.

Al other (Ease of Access) options have been checked, of course, and are not working. Try to look up a stock quote or do a bing search from the metro interface is not possible at all. No keyboard  will pop-up.

not sure if this is a Win8 issue, or a Dell issue, or specific to the docking station.

109 Posts

April 29th, 2014 08:00

So we received the new Venue 11 Pro Docks (A01), after Dell doing a total recall of the docks for the Venue 11 Pro I am surprised to notice that this issue has not be resolved and the piglet power connector still randomly falls and is way too loose.

I am really starting to questions Dell's QA procedure for new hardware.

Both the dock and power adapter are A01.

I discovered a very simple quick fix for this problem.

Take a very sharp knife and run it around the rubber part of the plug end about 2-3mm from the edge and  slide the cut rubber off. The plug now goes further in and fits TIGHT.

47 Posts

So we received the new Venue 11 Pro Docks (A01), after Dell doing a total recall of the docks for the Venue 11 Pro I am surprised to notice that this issue has not be resolved and the piglet power connector still randomly falls and is way too loose.

I am really starting to questions Dell's QA procedure for new hardware.

Both the dock and power adapter are A01.

47 Posts

Thanks for the quick fix, but we resell these docks to customers and we cannot do that on scale, I would prefer if Dell fixed their dock, or designed it correctly to begin with.

828 Posts

May 8th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for the quick fix, but we resell these docks to customers and we cannot do that on scale, I would prefer if Dell fixed their dock, or designed it correctly to begin with.

This has been resolved - anything shipping after May 7th should have the power adapter with the longer barrel connector that does not fall out.  

May 15th, 2014 06:00

We have about 35 docks and have experienced this issue with our users. Can we get the power supplies swapped?

May 15th, 2014 19:00

Looks like we have the same issue which in turn causes issues with the onscreen keyboard and the sound connections that seem to be flaky.

Am awaiting a call from my Dell Rep and will insist on getting the dock replaced before we order any new Venue's

No Events found!