Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2011 13:00

Headphone out volume low

My wife and I dig our streaks! :emotion-1:

I think my headphone out volume is a bit low compared to Android 1.6 (now running AT&T 2.2.2).

Did find others on XDA saying the same.

I use the streak to play msuic at work through some desktop speakers. The speakers have to be cranked to MAX and the streak is very near MAX as well.

I normalized all of the MP3s on my SD to get 'a little bit more'. I get the same volume via YouTube and IHeartRadio, etc...

It would be awesome to get a little bit more volume from the Streak.

26 Posts

May 20th, 2011 11:00

OMG.  :-)   My DELL Venue has the exact same issue.  I have to crank the audio to MAX in may car using the AUX in jack to get a moderate volume level.

Anyone have a solution or patch to this?  Is there an audio cable that might help (I have made sure I am using a quality Stereo cable).  

My wife and I both have Venue's and the problem is the same so I know the problem is on the phone (I can also plug in other devices playing the same audio without issue).

Please fix DELL!  PLEASE.

(Thanks Paul).

John

1 Message

May 24th, 2011 09:00

Guess what?  My Dell Venue Pro (the Dell Windows Phone 7 device) has exactly the same issue too! 

My old MP3 player plays just fine hooked to the external audio in jack in my car, but the DVP, even when turned up all the way to loudest setting brings the volume up to almost adequate on my car stereo ... but only when my car stereo is also turned up to the max (which causes some buzz noise in the stereo when its volume is at maximum).  And softer music passages or speach, like comedy recordings, are hard to hear when driving.  I've even tried using a 3.5 mm connector with 4 discrete connectors (like the plug that comes with the included earphone/mic) to connect my DVP to my car stereo that splits the stereo audio to one jack and the mic to a seperate one, but that didn't change anything.  I have the same issue with my home stereo too ... I have to have the DVP at maximum and the stereo itself at maximum to get barely acceptable volume out of the device.

This is a real shame for a Windows Phone 7 device since this phone is also a ZUNE player.  Oddly enough, the sound level is find into my headphones ... I use a high end 3rd party set too, not the ones that come with the phone.

My guess is something in the phone is detecting that sound is going out to an external device and dropping the volume ... so, perhaps we can't hurt ourselves? Silly, if that's the case and that should be disabled if its the case.

One of the (many) huge benefits of the Windows Phone 7 platform is the ZUNE player that's built in.  But if the ZUNE player can only be satisfying listening through earplugs only, then that removes, in a big way, a reason to choose the Dell Venue Pro over competing phones.

If ZUNE player / output volume is not resolvable, I will replace my DVP with another manufacturer's phone.  The ZUNE Pass service is awesome, but not fully usable on this phone.

Roy

26 Posts

May 24th, 2011 13:00

Roy,

So basically your post confirms that DELL has issue along it entire line of phones (Streak 5, Venue & Pro).  I have not tested my Streak7 with my car audio but I am going to assume the same at this point.

I am not sure what DELL's issue is here.  They have some good starts to what could be some GREAT products.  They just need some follow through.

I have my fingers crossed.

John

26 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 16:00

Your question as to whether the Firmware update will fix the issue is totally up to DELL.  I am just hoping we get any sort of update.

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 16:00

I agree it is very low on my car too!

Will the firmware update fix this issue?

5 Posts

June 6th, 2011 01:00

I ahve the same problem. I can't hear my phone, so it is not fit for purpose.

Not a terribly clever idea by Dell, and likely to lead to me abandoning it, especially since their own software won't connect the computer to the streak.

8 Posts

June 9th, 2011 21:00

I solved this problem by purchasing PowerAmp. This app includes an equalizer and most importantly a preamp that can increase the output volume significantly beyond the standard max volume.

Venueguy

26 Posts

June 11th, 2011 13:00

Venueguy,

The program looks nice, although this does not solve the issue when using other programs to play audio (unless I am missing something when I am looking at it in the market).  The best thing about this is that since PowerAmp easily fixes the issue, we can now "assume" that DELL will fix the issue in future updates (if we ever get one).

John

78 Posts

June 12th, 2011 06:00

I ve recently updated from 340_14844_31 to 353_15697_31 (wich turned out to be "updates" to 2.2 and not 2.2.2).  The results?: No more clear sound when i play mp3s, very low sound, no crisp fluid 720 HD video recording instead, choppy and smudgy patches every so many seconds, I have LauncherProPlus with three home screens, it chops and hangs between navigating from screen to screen.

Yep, Dell should not have pushed out the upgrade if it will also fry the sound quality and other functions.  Now i must root the thing just to get back to14844 and i DARE go to 2.2.2

8 Posts

June 15th, 2011 15:00

John, I agree (this only solves the problem for listening to music) but I am pretty pessimistic with respect to Dell updating any SW/OS...maybe the xda developers have a solution (I have not checked their site yet for a more universal solution).

;-(

Norbert

26 Posts

June 16th, 2011 03:00

Norbert,

I have browsed the XDA forums (and others) in relation to finding a different ROM and rooting my Venue (which I have done in the past with my Droid, etc.).  At this this point, I have found nothing that makes me want to want to do it as the process is not that simple and full of caveats - plus I can find nothing that says it will fix the issues we are discussing.

I am really happy with the venue (would like to remove some of the bloatware) except for the few issues it has and lack of an upgrade.

To bad DELL cannot get it together in the Android support area.

I agree with you..... :-(

John

9 Posts

July 13th, 2011 01:00

Dell, please fix it!

2 Posts

July 13th, 2011 08:00

It's not just a Dell problem.  When you use a headphone output "most" devices will have an output that is too low.  Keep in mind that it's designed to drive headphones not an AUX input.  If you’re going to use a headphone output into an AUX input here’s some info from Bose that you should find interesting.

www.facebook.com/topic.php

If you need a booster check out Sound Shocker Pro.  It’s a passive booster so now power is required which makes it nice for the car as well.

www.phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp

Pete.

26 Posts

July 14th, 2011 04:00

Great post kt88rock - Pete.  This is the kind of information we need to know.  I am wondering why DELL didn't just post about this (like BOSE did on Facebook) and the problem would be solved.  Simple solution to keep happy customers.  I do not understand why nobody from DELL posts on these forums.

Have you used the Sound Shocker?  Just curious as the misspellings on their site give me pause to order.

Thanks!

John

9 Posts

July 14th, 2011 05:00

kt88rock, and how do you explain this post

AxelF: "I visited Dell service center and after that I have discussed about my problem and then they have repaired my mobile and after that it start working normally"

No Events found!