Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2010 19:00

US Streak Constantly Re-Starting

I was wondering why my Streak seemed to randomly shut off all day today with a full charge....

I tore a business card in half, placed it on top of the battery, under the cover, so everything is tighter.

Seems to have helped as tapping the back of the unit does not prompt a re-start now.

Dear Dell, we are waiting for a REAL fix ;) ASAP

Thanks,

Michael

370 Posts

August 30th, 2010 22:00

Hi Michael,

Please PM me your service tag if you are still having issues with this (minus the business card workaround).

Thanks,

Amy

3 Posts

August 31st, 2010 05:00

hi

i am getting the same issues for over the last three weeks.

thought is was the mirco SD , ( when the dell streak restart and loads up , its does say its reading the  the ds card then it restarts ) , i then tried a 1G mirco SD , but still the same.

it is weird , you can be watching videos or the streak sitting doing nothing , when you see the

Back / Menu and Home button flashing 3 time and then the reset. :-(

been sarching the interent since then and the only thing i can see is the " put a bit of paper  next to the batt.

this is not a battery issues but it look like a software issues.

once thing i have not done is do a factory reset. will try later in week.

i hope the software update to 2.1 or 2.2 is very soon.

Barry   UK

8 Posts

September 21st, 2010 06:00

Hi Barry,

My Streak Is Doing Exactly The Same Thing As Well. Once It Starts Its An Absoloute Nightmare To Try And Get Back To Normal.It works for a long time then gos crazy.

I'm Really Dissapointed That Dell Could Release Such A Flaky Piece Of Software On What Was Originally A Promising Bit Of Kit.

Searching the web will quickly reveal a lot of bad feeling and dissapointment regarding the Streak that could affect its future and must be affecting sales.

Dell really need to push this probem up its priorty list before it becomes a white elephant.

I still have ver 1.6 running as ther is so much bad internet chat about the official/unoficcial 2.1 update - have you bitten the bullet and trie the update?

Mark (uk)

3 Posts

September 21st, 2010 14:00

well , upgrade to 2.1 , its worked for 3 week ok , now it does it a lot less.   about one every two days but it takes 5 minutes to reload

December 6th, 2010 14:00

Hi Barry,

My Streak Is Doing Exactly The Same Thing As Well. Once It Starts Its An Absoloute Nightmare To Try And Get Back To Normal.It works for a long time then gos crazy.

I'm Really Dissapointed That Dell Could Release Such A Flaky Piece Of Software On What Was Originally A Promising Bit Of Kit.

Searching the web will quickly reveal a lot of bad feeling and dissapointment regarding the Streak that could affect its future and must be affecting sales.

Dell really need to push this probem up its priorty list before it becomes a white elephant.

I still have ver 1.6 running as ther is so much bad internet chat about the official/unoficcial 2.1 update - have you bitten the bullet and trie the update?

Mark (uk)

It's comprehensive, Many thanks to your description!

15 Posts

December 6th, 2010 16:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi

I am having the same issue. Sometimes the Streak will not power on from standby. Full or part charge it doesn’t matter.

1.    I have to remove battery.

2.     Plug in power.

3.    Power on.

4.    Insert battery.

5.    The unit then says it is charging.

6.    Press power button to switch on.

7.    Back cover missing warning screen.

8.    Replace cover before the screen goes off.

9.    Wait for unit to power down.

10.  Turn it on then it usually works.

I have had the unit 26 days now and I have had to do this four times. As it doesn’t always work I have probably lost about 3 hours messing around with this thing. Please get it fixed.

Baseband GAUSB1A121100-EU

Kernel 2.629-perf

Build 10350

Running factory installed 2.1 update 1

57 Posts

December 6th, 2010 16:00

Return the Streak under warranty.

My experience is Dell are very good at honouring warranty.

15 Posts

December 7th, 2010 12:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I am a UK customer and I can’t say the same thing.

Dell says the unit is outside the replace or refund period of 21 days.

I reported the fault after 14 days, Friday 26/11/10, from receipt of the new unit 12/11/10 but the rep had to call me back with the replacement details. I got the call back 5 days later at which point I had managed to get the phone to do a reboot and I thought the issue was resolved. Because of this I said there was no need to replace the unit. 3 days later, Saturday (4/12/10), the phone stopped working again displaying the same symptoms. I called customer service the following Monday and after speaking to a manager was told because it was over 21 days the only option was to repair. i.e. loose the phone for 2 to 4 weeks.

The manager thought that it was reasonable to lose the unit for this period of time after owning the unit for less than a month. It beggars belief.

I called Dell back later in the day and I was told by a rep that the manager would contact me later that day when she was available.

Tuesday now and I am still waiting for the call back.

The first time I reported the fault the rep even though it was well inside their 21 day period tried to convince me to have the phone repaired and even suggested I find a replacement whilst it was repaired. It was only after some cajoling that the rep was willing to organise the replacement. This sounds like sharp practice to me.

So Dell just to be clear. I give you £400, you give me a product that fails within 2 weeks, you take back the product for up to 4 weeks and I source and supply an alternative in the interim.

Does anyone else think this reasonable?

I like the phone when it works but the way the customer support is structured has put me off this company. Please give me my money back you are welcome to the Streak.

15 Posts

December 29th, 2010 10:00

Fixed it.

The battery cover is at fault. It bends out and the battery becomes loose on its contact patch. I simply bent the battery cover in so as to give it a little spring and all is well.

2.2 arrived. Very good.

One small thing Dell does not think UK consumer law applies to it.

The Sale of Goods Act says that if a repair cannot be carried out without causing significant inconvienience then the vendor must offer a replacement or a refund at their discretion. If the customer service staff try to insist on a repair check the law. I informed them of this statute 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Rich UK

No Events found!