Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2015 15:00

Venue 8 Pro 5830 Upgraded to Win 10 Bluetooth Keyboard Problem

I was able to upgrade my 5830 to Windows 10 using the Microsoft "MediaCreationTool". I, unfortunately, did not have enough room for the update and had to go to the wipe everything and then install Win 10 option. It worked.

Unfortunately, a lot of the drivers had to be updated, and I have been busy doing that, but I have one major problem. When I first purchased the Venue 8 Pro, I also purchased a case with a Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard worked well with 8.1. Using Win 10, I paired both the keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse. The mouse works fine, but even though the keyboard is paired, it's keystrokes are not registered and I have to use the on-screen keyboard.

I found a post on another site that suggested going into the "Ease of Access" settings and disabling the filter keys. Unfortunately, this setting is for the on-screen keyboard and not for the Bluetooth keyboard, so that does not work. There doesn't appear to be any help in the Bluetooth settings. It shows the keyboard is paired, but not much else.

I guess I could try another keyboard, but this one was working beautifully with 8.1.

Any ideas?

2 Posts

August 14th, 2015 11:00

Yes, absolutely ... and there was nothing there made it work. 

From what I understand, Microsoft changed their Bluetooth Driver in Windows 10 for Security reasons and it caused many older BT keyboards with sloppy software not to work in Win 10. 

In case it helps anyone else I finally found the solution to make my old Bluetooth keyboard work with Windows 10 on Venue 8 Pro.

In Device Manager under Bluetooth -> Bluetooth Radio -> Properties there is a tab called "Power Management".

The option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was checked by default. I unchecked it and my old Bluetooth keyboard that worked with Windows 8.1 works under Windows 10 again.  

22 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 21:00

The only "filter keys' setting is for the on-screen keyboard. Their appears to be no setting for an external bluetooth keyboard. I did turn off the "filter" settings for the on-screen keyboard, but it did not work.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 21:00

Turn off filter keys.

2 Posts

August 6th, 2015 13:00

What Bluetooth keyboard do you have? 

I have IVSO keyboard for Venue 8 Pro and have the same issue. Keyboard worked fine under Windows 8.1 but it does not work after I upgraded to Windows 10. Other Bluetooth devices (mouse) work fine. Keyboard pairs OK but it does not work and it appears to switch from "connected" to "paired" state all the time.

I am also considering trying other keyboards but I was hoping that there was a solution to allow IVSO keyboard to work under windows 10. So far nothing I've tried worked.

22 Posts

August 11th, 2015 17:00

I decided to purchase another keyboard, the Microsoft "Wedge". It is much better than the generic 5 " x 8" keyboard that came with the Folio I purchased when I bought the Venue 8 Pro. It is a bit larger, but it fits in the carrying case I carry the Venue in along with the charger, a car charger, and the Dell power adapter that allows you to power the Venue while also plugging in a USB flash drive for data. The MS Wedge keyboard cost me $60 at Staples and is worth every penny. Well built, good looking, and with every key you would want with a Windows Operating System. Size of the keyboard is 10.25" x 4" x 0.75" so it doesn't look crazy with an 8" tablet.

August 12th, 2015 10:00

I have the same problem here with an Anker BlueTooth keyboard, very annoying.

August 12th, 2015 13:00

Filter Keys is off by default

2 Posts

August 12th, 2015 13:00

Did you go into the control panel then "ease of Access Center" then make kb easier to use?

22 Posts

August 13th, 2015 01:00

Yes, absolutely ... and there was nothing there made it work. 

From what I understand, Microsoft changed their Bluetooth Driver in Windows 10 for Security reasons and it caused many older BT keyboards with sloppy software not to work in Win 10. 

22 Posts

August 31st, 2015 17:00

Thanks for posting this 

I have a Zagg bluetooth keyboard that I use with my Venue 8 pro and this solution of unchecking that option fixed it for me my keyboard works perfectly again

Funny how a simple setting can cause stuff like that to happen. For me before my keyboard only worked when I had the bluetooth settings screen open 

So glad that it is fixed that was driving me crazy

1 Message

February 15th, 2016 16:00

Interesting... I had the same problem with Anker Bluetooth Keyboard K1280C and the Dell Venue Pro 8 about 6 mo. ago. Once I upgraded to W10, the keyboard stopped working.  I think I even read this thread and others--apparently no longer compatible with W10. It was collecting dust on my desk... gave it a last try today before throwing it away. Again, it showed paired, but did not react to keystrokes. Decided to remove the device under Bluetooth devices, turned off the keyboard, on again, and pushed the pair button under the keyboard. Windows found it, gave a code that I typed on the keyboard--low and behold, it works! I'm typing on it right now!

So no driver issues! Just remove the device, re-connect, and you should be good to go with this model (and perhaps with others too).

915 Posts

February 16th, 2016 09:00

Thanks for this reminder--sometimes we forget the simple solutions, which can be all that is needed and the ones that work.

No Events found!