Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2016 00:00

Venue 8 Pro wont charge

My Venue 8 Pro no longer charges.

Yes, I have been using the supplied charger and usb cable.

Yes, I am aware of the badly designed micro usb port.

Yes, I am sure that it was not plugged in incorrectly.

No, there was no power surge, charger is connected to a surge protector. 

Yes, I tried a different charger.

Yes, I bought it brand new from a reputable supplier. 

I hardly use my Venue 8 Pro, so it is highly unlikely that the battery has reached it's lifespan. This is quite annoying as it is no longer under warranty. 

86 Posts

February 20th, 2016 11:00

is anything detected in the USB port? ie if you use a dongle and plug in a USB drive. Cable swap?

17 Posts

February 20th, 2016 21:00

I've had this issue on two separate Dell Venue 8 Pros so far (model T01D) and can't explain it, but eventually it starts charging.  I bought 4 of these tablets on the same day, sold one and gave 2 as gifts (keeping one for myself) and mine and my dad's both have stopped charging. I thought I was sunk since it's past warranty, and then without any reason or rhyme to it, it started charging again.

I think my dad causes his own problems by keeping the thing plugged into the charger 24 hours a day for months on end and only unplugging it in the rare chance he wants to carry it away from his favorite spot on the couch, but mine is used more like a normal tablet.

When I've had this happen, it acts dead. Even pressing power, that orange LED doesn't light up, nor does it light up with the white LED when you plug it in.  Then when I'm not looking, it charges and boots for some reason. Hmmm.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2016 04:00

Yeah, sounds like my issue. I haven't used mine in ages, grabbed it out of my office draw and noticed that it was dead, so plugged it in to charge and nothing, no orange light either when pressing the power button. 

Quite annoyed by it, hopefully it will come right and charge again at some point. 

915 Posts

February 21st, 2016 08:00

I think my dad causes his own problems by keeping the thing plugged into the charger 24 hours a day for months on end and only unplugging it in the rare chance he wants to carry it away from his favorite spot on the couch, but mine is used more like a normal tablet.

Like your dad, my DV8P is plugged in 24/7, but I don't have any charge issues if I disconnect.  In fact, I think that my always being connected has preserved my battery.

157 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 07:00

Max, have you tried a very long - maybe 30 seconds - press of the power switch to see if you get either a restart or the "pull down to shut off" prompt? My DV8P is funky about this, too, but that usually gets the charge light up - after it sits for a few minutes.

No Events found!