Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

May 31st, 2011 13:00

Venue Pro wifi crashing fix with new firmware? When?

I've seen a few reports of new Venue Pro phones being shipped with firmware 2250.1800.7355.210. My phone, which I purchased about a month ago, shipped with *.206. This updated firmware is supposed to provide stability and fix the problem with secure-wifi locking up the phone and crashing apps.

Dell, when are you going to push out this firmware update? Until you do, I have a less than half-way working device, which is a shame because the hardware is tarnishing an otherwise brilliant mobile operating system.

My only other recourse is to purchase a SanDisk 32GB microSDHC memory card, but this voids the warranty. Of course, at this point voiding the warranty seems to be moot since Dell won't fix the hardware issues with their phones. Replacing the memory card is reported to completely address the wifi and crashing issues with the phone. OK, I'd void the warranty, but also double the phone storage.

Dell? Anyone?

17 Posts

June 1st, 2011 21:00

Well, they missed their announced May 18 firmware update date so I hope you're not exactly holding your breath on an answer/fix from Dell for a very well publicized issue going back to Dec 2010. If you're truely entertaining the idea of changing your SD card(which I did myself), have a look at the on going thread in this forum here about the crashing:

en.community.dell.com/.../19358469.aspx

The most common recommendation is a CLASS 2 card. Personally since I changed mine I haven't had a single crash and I leave my Wi-Fi always on. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I too was getting lock ups before changing my card. I got mine back in December and gave up hope in April for a Dell fix. Frankly, at this point I probably wouldn't do the firmware update on my phone for fear that it may break something. If it ain't broke... Anyways, good luck.

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 16:00

Does your phone RAM shows accurate 512mb?

11 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 16:00

Don't know. RAM doesn't show up under Settings: About: More Info.

Is there an app that will provide additional device info?

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 17:00

Yes use "System Information" (free app) and you should see it.

My DVP for instance shows 225MB Total Memory (it should be closer to 500MB if the firmware is correct)

Pierre

10 Posts

Personally I never had issues with the wifi, just some applications that might use a little more memory (RAM) than other have a tenedency to crash.

The phone seldom freezes (once in a month or two may be)

But I updated the Micro SD card on the first day I got the phone in November (With a Komputerbay 32GB MicroSD Class 6) ($77 at Amazon)

I must say I love the phone and hope for the Firmware update to come soon.

17 Posts

Don't know. RAM doesn't show up under Settings: About: More Info.

Is there an app that will provide additional device info?

My RAM still showing as 225MB. I use an app called SYSTEM INFORMATION from the market place. Don't expect that number to change or be "corrected" unless there's a firmware update, but like I said before, the phone is running just fine since I changed the SD card.

11 Posts

Just installed System Information (thanks for pointing it out!) and it shows Total memory: 480.77 MB.

So, I guess the RAM issue isn't the culprit.

11 Posts

June 6th, 2011 10:00

I installed the 32GB micro card late last week... an easy process. But, sad to say the wifi issues haven't been remedied.

Secure wifi is actually faster, but the phone still locks up just as frequently. Will still put it through the normal routine to pass final judgement, but have lost all hope until Dell does something to fix THEIR hardware problem once and for all.

10 Posts

July 26th, 2011 12:00

Just updated my Venue Pro with the firmware update (on T-Mobile) and it now shows the correct Memory amount.

Yeaaah!

No Events found!