Start a Conversation

Unsolved

4 Posts

May 21st, 2018 10:00

Non-RAID, hot swap drive setup

Gurus,

I have a Unity 300 hybrid running three NAS Servers/Pools/SMB File systems. What I would like to do is have a fourth used for storing backups. The ideal would be to have a single non-RAID 4TB disk used to backup key folders from desktops. After a backup, I would like to physically remove the disk and lock it in a firesafe. The disk would be replaced with another one for the following week's backups. Just like you would use a tape drive.

1) I can't find a way to use one disk on its own as it seems to require RAID 1/0 at a minimum. Can it be done?

2) Can you have a file system that uses hot-swappable disks the way that I intend?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

May 22nd, 2018 06:00

Hi Rick

Disk in Unity must be protected by RAID 1/0, 5 or 6.  There's no way to utilize disks that you hot swap in and out of the array in the way you describe, it's not really a use case the product was ever designed for.  Sounds more of a use case for one of our data protection products than Unity.

I would suggest working with your local Dell EMC partner or Dell EMC team to look at a solution for the use case you describe.

Chris

May 22nd, 2018 07:00

Thank you. I suspected as much. We frequently have to cobble unusual solutions together.

No Events found!