Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

November 13th, 2017 05:00

Strange output from Unity via uemcli

Hello,

If I give the following command in a dos box:

uemcli -d ***.***.***.*** -u Local/****** -p ******** -noHeader /sys/general show -filter "Health state"

I receive the following answer:

1:    Health state = OK (5)

If I give the same command in a perl script then something went wrong, and I get the following answer:

■1 :         H e a l t h   s t a t e   =   O K   ( 5 )

There are spaces between every character.

If I run the perl script and print the output in a file I see on every space the word NUL

ÿþ1NUL:NUL NUL NUL NUL NUL NULHNULeNULaNULlNULtNULhNUL NULsNULtNULaNULtNULeNUL NUL=NUL NULONULKNUL  NUL(NUL5NUL) NUL NUL

I also use this script to check the health status on several VNX's without any problems.

Is there somebody who can help me with this?

Regards,

Efclem.

8.6K Posts

November 13th, 2017 16:00

please open a service request and ask customer service if this warrants to file an engineering bug

5 Posts

November 14th, 2017 03:00

Thanks, I opened a service request..

8.6K Posts

November 14th, 2017 07:00

you're welcome

September 18th, 2018 04:00

Hello, I have the same issue, did your service request resolved the problem? I think it is a encoding/UTF8? problem, so the output needs to be handled in Perl/Powershell.

September 18th, 2018 06:00

Found the solution by myself, as it is documented in EMC Unisphere CLI Version 1.5.1 User Guide

Earlier versions of the CLI (prior to 1.5.1.1) used ASCII encoding or a superset of ASCII. In order to be able to display localized names, VNXe Unisphere CLI (Windows only) enforces the output to be in wide char format (UTF-16) with BOM. There have been reports of problems when using Perl on Windows with the VNXe Unisphere CLI. Since returned bytes are using an encoding that is not a superset of ASCII, this results in the characters being unreadable. The script writer may need to decode those bytes from UTF-16 into Unicode characters.

The following is an example of one way to decode the bytes within a Perl script. Note that the means of decoding in other scripting languages will vary:

if (@ans && $ans[0] =~ m/\x00/) {

my $s = decode('utf-16', join(encode('ucs-2', "\n"), @ans));

@ans = split(/\n/, $s);

}

No Events found!