Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 7th, 2017 10:00

Unity Flash drive performance

Hello,

I used to reference the VNX Best practices guide for estimates on IOPs and Bandwidth, but I can't find equal documentation for Unity.

The most I can find is a table in the Unity best practices guide showing the maximum recommended IOPs for a flash drive being 20,000.This seems very high, I wonder what IO was being sent to the drive to get that. What about bandwidth figures? We use this to help estimate pool sizes and requirements for our applications.

April 10th, 2017 07:00

Hi

If you look in the BP guide on page 8, it gives guidance on how the numbers where tested:

For some of the following hardware sections, both IOPS and bandwidth (MB/s) capabilities are shown. A different type of workload is assumed when determining IOPS capabilities versus when determining bandwidth capabilities:

• IOPS workloads assume random small-block access. The following numbers are specifically modeled on a workload with a mix of I/O sizes less than 64KB, containing both read and write operations, and accessing randomly selected blocks within the datasets.

• Bandwidth workloads assume sequential large-block access. The following numbers are specifically modeled on a workload with a mix of I/O sizes greater than 64KB, containing both read and write operations, and accessing contiguous blocks of data with minimal seek.

8.6K Posts

April 10th, 2017 09:00

For sizing though I would suggest to use the Unity sizer tool rather than "back of the envelope" sizing.

since you seem to be a partner - more information is available as part of the partner Speed program

No Events found!