Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2016 06:00

Unity: storage groups, lun id?

Hello everybody,

Thanks in advanced for your help. I got a huge exp deploying VNX, but now I'm just deploying a new Unity 300. It's cool, mainly the integration with VMware, but i am facing a problem here.

I have an enviorement with a vCenter + 4 servers, two DS-4400M (EMC FC SW) and an old VNX, and now I want to present 4 new datastores from Unity to my ESXis, so I can start vmotioning VMs from the old VNX to the new Unity. Mi problem is that I'm not being able to find how to specify a LUN ID for the luns, and Unity choose whatever it wants, in this case 0. The problem is that my old VNX datastores are presented with LUN IDs from 0 to 8, so I'm worried about ID conflicts.

I have checked communities and KBs, and tried via Unisphere UEM CLI, but I cant not see anyway in which I can create the lun (GUI or CLI) choosing the LUN ID, either I cant find how to modify the storage group, which I cant see but I guess is there.

Any idea? Thanks a lot!

5 Posts

August 9th, 2016 00:00

As I couldnt wait, I decided to remove the vcenter from the Access/VMware tab. Once I did that, vCenter&ESXi disappeared from there, AND I found that all ESXi now appears in the Access/Host tab. I created a LUN via Storage/VMware tab, it choosed the LUN ids he wanted, but then I could modify the ID for all the host, 1 by 1. Not the best solution, but at leasts I could choose my IDs.

@highperftechI know it shouldnt be a problem, but i dont like the word "should". Anyway, it's astonishing that you can not choose the LUN ID. I avoided the problem as stated before.

@maniemc I have alredy posted there my thoughts, thanks!    

13 Posts

August 8th, 2016 19:00

Dave,

LUN ID should not be a conflict. VMware can differentiate between one storage array and another. I am curious to know how to manually specify a LUN ID though. I don’t know of a way to manually assign a HLU or host LUN ID when mapping a LUN to a host.

Thanks,

Chris

169 Posts

August 8th, 2016 22:00

Refer Re: Unity and host lun ID's? for instruction of changing lun id for hosts

169 Posts

I answered your question on the other thread as well. In short, only vmfs may allow the hlu edit because it is just lun based. Other special data store types like vvol/nfs dont need HLUs.

For uemcli syntax, 3 steps are required:

1) Find the host id via : uemcli /remote/host show

2) Find the current HLU ids via : uemcli /remote/host/hlu -host show

3) To modify : uemcli /remote/host/hlu -id set -lunid

5 Posts

This procedure fails in point 1, /remote/host doesnt show host added via tab Access/VMware

169 Posts

August 11th, 2016 02:00

Hi David,

Typically the host will be masked in Unisphere GUI for ESX hosts when it adds them to vmware, but CLI will still show the host details. It is possible to change HLU for traditional luns allocated the vmware (not working for vmfs/vvolds )

Example from my lab test:

C:\>uemcli -no /virt/vmw/esx show -output table -filter ID,Name

ID                   | Name

---------------------+---------------------

Host_1               | esx1

Host_2               | esx2

C:\>uemcli -no /remote/host show -output table -filter ID,Name

ID                   | Name

---------------------+-------------

Host_1               | esx1                    

Host_2               | esx2

Host_3               | win1

C:\>uemcli -no /remote/host/hlu -host Host_1 show -output table

Host                 | LUN                  | LUN type             | LUN ID

---------------------+----------------------+----------------------+--------

Host_1               | sv_1                 | Production           | 0

Host_1               | sv_3                 | Production           | 2

Above shows, esx host is just hidden in GUI

Still possible to change HLU (Lun ID) for non vmfs:

C:\>uemcli -no /remote/host/hlu -host Host_1 -lun sv_3 show -output table

---------------------+----------------------+----------------------+-----------------

Host_1               | sv_3                 | Production           | 2

C:\>uemcli -no /remote/host/hlu -host Host_1 -lun sv_3 -type production set -lunid 5

Operation completed successfully.

C:\>uemcli -no /remote/host/hlu -host Host_1 -lun sv_3 show -output table

---------------------+----------------------+----------------------+-----------------

Host_1               | sv_3                 | Production           | 5

January 8th, 2017 22:00

HLU on unity can be changed

The Modify Host LUN IDs feature lets you change the IDs of the LUNs so that you can achieve the same mapping view of LUNs for each host in a cluster. It also enables you to configure a bootable LUN that will allow a host to boot from the Storage Area Network (SAN).

Procedure

1. Under Access, select Hosts.
  2. Select the relevant host, and then select the Edit icon.
  3. On the Host Properties screen, select the LUNs tab.
  4. Select Modify Host LUN IDs.
  5. On the Modify Host LUN IDs screen, under LUN ID, set the relevant numeric value.

To configure a bootable LUN, set the value for the relevant LUN to 0.

Click OK.

No Events found!