Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2015 12:00

Ask the Expert: VMAX3 New Features, Best Practices, Trouble-Shooting Tips

Welcome to the EMC VMAX3 community Ask the Expert conversation.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: VMAX All Flash – Extreme Performance at Petabyte Scale, and Best Practices

Ask the Expert: XtremIO for SAP - Best Practices, Configuration and Q&As

https://community.emc.com/thread/177118

On this occasion we will be covering these new VMAX3 features: FAST.X external storage tiering, FAST Hinting, SRDF/Metro active active remote replication, embedded NAS offering, embedded management, and FlashBoost performance accelerator.

Among the many areas we will be discussing, our experts will answer your questions in regards to best practices, supported configurations, challenges with multi-site replication, as well as consolidation opportunities to combine block and file workloads on VMAX3.

View the VMAX3 Performance infographic and discover additional details.

Here are four videos that describe what customers think about VMAX3.

VMAX3 Customers Talk About Scale and Performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU6OG5TWywU

VMAX3 Customers Talk About TCO Savings and Consolidation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm9yih0u6wU

VMAX3 Customers Talk About Simple Management using VMAX3 SLOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEteGJeY10s

VMAX3 Customers Talk About High Availability and Data Protection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Wqsuhw1xQ

Meet Your Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=12600&size=350 Paul Martin
Principal Corporate Systems Engineer - EMC
Paul started his career at EMC 10 years ago in tech support working in the OSAPI Unix team. After a few years he continued his career path in the Proven Solutions arena working with Oracle and SAP proven solutions team to produce white papers and proven solutions guides focusing on the integration with EMC products. This involved design, build and test of full EMC SAN environments with the Core EMC technologies, VMAX, VNX, RecoverPoint and DataDomain. He is currently working as Principal Corporate Systems Engineer in the Core Technologies Division VMAX focused.
Matt_Easter_Ate.jpg

Mathew Acord

VMAX3 HW Corporate Systems Engineer - EMC

Matt Acord has been in the IT business for 16 years, 11 of those with EMC. Since he joined EMC he has worked in the PSE lab and was one of the SRDF/A SMEs in the lab and Tech Support. In ESD Matt worked with Tier I partners in configuring their frames, migrating data and keeping them up to date with new EMC technologies. Matt is currently a Principal Corporate Systems Engineer where he focuses on hardware for all the VMAX families and D@RE.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=13802&size=350

Andrew Lubeck

Consultant Corporate Systems Engineer - EMC

Andrew has been with EMC for 16 years. In that time he has worked for Customer Service, Professional Services, and, for the past 10 years, Symmetrix Engineering. The products that he's currently supporting are FTS, FAST.X and ProtectPoint. Andrew also does a lot of work involving migration strategies and best practices.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=12853&size=350

Mike Adams

Consulting Corporate Systems Engineer - EMC

Mike has been with EMC for over 15 years and part of the VMAX engineering team for the past 10 years. Mike's areas of expertise include SRDF, ORS, FLM, Access Controls, User Authorization, Host IO Limits, Performance, Databases, Code Development, and FAST.

Harold+Hager.png

Harold Hager

VMAX Product Manager - EMC

Harold has been at EMC for 15 years. 11 of those years in NAS (Celera, NS, VNX). The last 4 years in VMAX Product Management with a focus on Embedded Applications and NAS in particular. Worked at DEC prior to EMC.

This discussion takes place from August 24th - September 4th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications. RSVP to receive a reminder once this event kicks off: https://community.emc.com/events/3412

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Join our Ask the Expert: The New VMAX3 - Features, Best Practices, Trouble-Shooting Tips http://bit.ly/1TricAF  #EMCATE <<

109 Posts

August 20th, 2015 12:00

Looking forward to participating in this ATE event!

August 24th, 2015 06:00

This Ask the Expert session is now open for questions. For the next couple of weeks our Subject Matter Experts will be around to reply to your questions, comments or inquiries about our topic.

Let’s make this conversation useful, respectful and entertaining for all. Enjoy!

August 24th, 2015 07:00

Hi team, first of all - many thanks for your participation in creating such a great product as VMAX3, cheers.

I am interested in any embedded hypervisor evolution: as I know, currently Hypermax OS hypervisor offers three types of VMs (Control Station VM, Data Mover VM, eManagement VM). Do you have any future plans or roadmaps for "placing" new services inside Hypermax OS hypervisor VMs?

Thanks and regards, Pavel Goncharov

17 Posts

August 24th, 2015 07:00

I understand that with VMAX3 meta devices have gone away.  If you need to resize/expand an existing TDEV is that still possible?

109 Posts

August 24th, 2015 08:00

So I have a question. I was reading this blog: vSphere 6 and VAAI performance boost on VMAX and found the discussion around copying with an extent size of 4 MB interesting. From reading the blog I understand that with vSphere 6 we can adust the values to allow for a maximum extent size of 240 MB. Steps in the blog take the reader through how to make the necessary changes.

Have you tried configuring for a larger extent size on the VMAX or VMAX3 and what have been the results?

419 Posts

August 24th, 2015 09:00

Evan,

with the September 2015 release of HyperMaxOS you can grow/expand devices non-disruptively, the neat thing about this is that you don't need to use any BCV as in previous generations just specify the new size in CYL/MB/MB or TB, a device can grow up to 64 TB with this release.  It's easy to do this via Unipshere or with the symdev command in Symcli.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 24th, 2015 10:00

Hi Pavel,

As you are aware, we introduced our eNAS(Embedded NAS) solution in Q4 of 2014.

EMC is now offering embedded management (eManagement) through the HYPERMAX OS hypervisor. This announcement enables customers to further simplify management, reduce cost, and increase availability by running VMAX3 management software directly on VMAX3 arrays. A separate management server is not required. Key elements of eManagement include running embedded Unisphere, Solutions Enabler, and SMI-S management software on VMAX3. Customers can continue to run VMAX3 management software on a dedicated server if they plan to manage several VMAX3 arrays from a single management console.

We are always looking at additional data services to embed that would provide value to our customers. Are there some specific ones you would like us to consider? And if so, how would the provide additional value for you?

Thanks,

Harold

123 Posts

As I mentioned in my blog I did not want to get into the weeds too much but if you read my whitepaper it explains there are only 8 segments available in a command and each one holds 30 MB so 240 MB is the maximum.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Drew - thanks for the input.

ALL: below is the link to the VMware API integration with VMAX white paper:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8115-vmware-vstorage-vmax-wp.pdf

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 24th, 2015 13:00

Harold,

SMAS aka Unisphere for VMAX could run on the service processor before (if CE enabled it during install). So what's different now as far as VMAX3 management software is concerned ?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 24th, 2015 13:00

Paul Martin wrote:

Evan,

with the September 2015 release of HyperMaxOS you can grow/expand devices non-disruptively, the neat thing about this is that you don't need to use any BCV as in previous generations just specify the new size in CYL/MB/MB or TB, a device can grow up to 64 TB with this release.  It's easy to do this via Unipshere or with the symdev command in Symcli.

release notes ?

419 Posts

August 25th, 2015 01:00

Dynamox,

in response to the embedded management, Unisphere is not running on the SP hardware, it's running in the HyperMax OS as a Guest OS (VM) on the director hardware in the FA emulation. When we run Unisphere for VMAX embedded it runs in a high availability mode so if for any reason a director goes offline we still have all of management functionality and monitoring.  I think Harold has highlighted the main benefits already.

419 Posts

August 25th, 2015 01:00

Dyanamox,

release notes will be posed when the Q3 code GA's late september

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 25th, 2015 05:00

Thanks Paul.  Can you tell me more about the Solutions Enabler functionality ? Does it mean that i no longer need to stand up my own VM, present gatekeepers to it ? I could install SE on my workstation and configure SE in client/server configuration, server being the HyperMAX Guest ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 25th, 2015 06:00

Paul,

we use device groups a lot, will SE allow me to create device groups on eMGMT itself ( we are not usig GNS).

No Events found!