Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2013 14:00

Clariion to VMAX (5876) on-the-fly zero based reclaim with open replicator not working

We are migrating devices from a CLARiiON to a VMAX using PowerPath Migration Enabler - Open Replicator. The OR sessions are not being setup with front-end zero detection enabled. Per a white paper PPME-OR supports on-the-fly zero based reclaim. How do I set this up? I don't see any options with the "powermig setup" command.

286 Posts

January 31st, 2013 08:00

It was just confirmed that zero reclaim is currently not supported by PPME when using OR

286 Posts

January 30th, 2013 11:00

Yeah i think it should for either, or that was what i thought. Either that there is a mistake in the doc, i looked at the product guide again and just like host copy, the OR migration procedure also has the -nothin flag in the powermig command as valid. Let me ask a few people and see if i can get a clearer answer.

286 Posts

Ah with PPME managing it I believe it is automatic. If PPME detects the target LUN is thin it will only copy written, non-zero data.

"In Host Copy migrations, the Setup state identifies the target devices as either thick or

thin. When copy operations begin with thin target devices, PowerPath Migration Enabler

copies only those blocks with data.

Host Copy operates in thin copying mode only if it recognizes the target device as a

virtually provisioned device. It checks an array-specific SCSI-mode page value to

determine EMC Symmetrix or VNX/CLARiiON virtual LUNs. Host Copy cannot determine

whether or not a LUN is thin on a third-party array."

20 Posts

We are using PPME-OR (powermig) which creates the session and there doesn't look to be any option for "-frontend_zero". It is an option if using "symrcopy create" but this is handled by PPME in our case. We can run the reclaim after but the whitepaper says that on-the-fly zero based reclaim is supported.

286 Posts

I think when setting up the original ORS session you need the -frontend_zero option to be set. I'd check out the SYMCLI Migration Product guide.

20 Posts

This sounds like it only applies to PPME with Host Copy. We are using PPME with Open Replicator. Should PPME with Open Replicator detect that the target LUN is thin and enable front-end zero detection? PPME is setting up a hot pull from the VMAX to the CLARiiON. All of our devices are virtually provisioned thin devices. Thank you!

286 Posts

January 30th, 2013 12:00

Looks like -nothin isnt supported for OR, only hostcopy, so that really shouldnt be listed in that part of the doc... Still digging...

No Events found!