Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2014 22:00

Databases on Service Processors and Management Host

Can someone list the databases in DMX/VMAX hardwares and the database on Management host  and their criticality ?

Do we need to backup any of the databases manually ? If not, how is the database preserved ?

213 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 05:00

Hi Prakash,

There are no other DBs (At least that you can backup), Losing SYMAPI_DB.db will make you lose the DGs configured if they were local (No GNS enabled) so always try to take a backup from your DGs (symdg export/import).

If you have no DGs then there is nothing to worry about after deleting the symapi_db.bin. running "symcfg discover" will repopulate the DB again.

ACLX/VCMDB is not customer accessible, you are just taking a backup of it as mentioned above, The only use case I am aware of for this is to run symaccess commands offline without the need to send syscalls over GKs

Hope this helps

Mohammed Salem

1.3K Posts

December 18th, 2014 12:00

I have no idea what databases you are talking about.  In VMAX, all memory including all meta data is saved to vault space when powered off.  There is nothing to backup that I'm aware of.

35 Posts

December 18th, 2014 12:00

Dynamox or Quincey56 can you guys help me to clarify this

December 18th, 2014 14:00

If you're talking about backing up the VCM/ACLX database, use the "symmask/symaccess backup" and "symmask/symaccess restore" commands.

859 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 01:00

There is a db bin file (symapi_db.bin) on the mgmt host that keeps information about DGs, CGs. You might want to keep the backup of it..

regards,

Saurabh

35 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 05:00

Guys,

This is what I get from your answer's,

symapi_db.bin - DG's and CG's backup

VCMDB/ACLX - Thin pool configuration/Device details/ LUN details/Masking and Mapping details.

Is there any other DB's apart from this ?

Also, Which is the most critical DB's and what happens if symapi_db.bin file gets deleted  by accident ?

No Events found!