Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2015 19:00

Does this FAST config take effect for a volume?

Hello,

I have a VMAX volume FAST config policy question:

Below is the config detail:

MV1:

PG_1:  4 FA ports

CIG_1:   hostA's all initiators

SG_1:    normal SG without FAST and hostIO;  has volume "AA" in it.

At same time, the volume "AA" is in a phantom storage group : SG_2. The SG_2 has a FAST policy.

The VMAX allows this config and I have configed it successful. The "AA" is provision to hostA and the I/O is ok.

My question is:  Does the FAST policy take effect for the "AA" volume with this config?

Based on my understand, if the SG is not in a Masking View, it's only a "logic container" for the volumes in it, the FAST policy / hostIO properties for the SG will not take effect.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks

Liyu

121 Posts

January 14th, 2015 07:00

I don't believe this is explicitly documented anywhere. I know it gets applied fairly regularly though. Please refer to the document:

"FAST VP for EMC® Symmetrix® VMAX® Theory and Best Practices for Planning and Performance Technical Notes

P/N 300-012-014" for the most up-to-date information.

121 Posts

January 13th, 2015 20:00

To answer your question, "yes", the FAST VP policy will still take effect on the volume even though SG_2 is not part of a masking view. This is a well-documented use-case that can be employed when volumes from the same host require different FAST policies.

Host I/O controls are treated differently. The documentation states that you may not even apply an I/O limit if the SG is not part of a masking view. "Host I/O Limits can only be set for a storage group in a masking view."

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 13th, 2015 21:00

Hi KW160,

Thanks a lot for so quick response! It's really helpful.

Do you know where can I get the article that has this use-case documented? With the docs of VMAX FAST, I can't find this usage.

Thanks

Liyu

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 14th, 2015 16:00

Thank you very much!

No Events found!