Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2016 09:00

HOW TO CONFIGURE VMAX STORAGE

Hi Guys,

My name is Jay and i'm new to this vmax storage. In my Present Environment we have VMAX 20k and we have increased the storage by adding FLASH AND FC Drives to the Array and EMC has changed the Bin File for this Change in the array.

My Question is how do we configure the newly added storage to the Disk groups.

Presently we are using ALL EFD drives are dedicated to FAST VP and FC, SATA for the main storage.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2016 12:00

please provide output from "symdisk list -sid -by_diskgroup. Make sure to erase your Symmetrix ID number from the output.

122 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 23:00

Might help!!!

1. List all the datadevs and search for those which don’t have any pools assigned to them (Pool Type, Pool Name columns should have “-” and State should be “Dis”).

# symcfg -sid 1234 list -datadev -nonpooled | grep Dis | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v Ena

2. Convert the output devices from step 1 into range of devices. Run following command against each range to find out which diskgroup these datadevs are from. Ideally you would like to link one diskgroup with one pool.

# symdev -sid 1234 list -datadev -range -v | grep "Disk Group Number" | awk -F: '{print $2}' | uniq

3. Now you know which diskgroups have free datadevs. You have been told to use latest diskgroup. You know the speed of the disk in that diskgroup. So narrow down which diskgroup you will be using. You can find out what kind of disks in that diskgroup are and range of datadevices in that diskgroup using commands below.

# symdisk -sid 1234 list -by_diskgroup | more # symdisk -sid 1234 list -dskgrp_summary -disk_group 5 # symdev -sid 1234 list -datadev -disk_group 5 | grep DT | awk '{print $1}' | tr "\n" ","

4. At this stage, we know the range of datadevs we will be adding to pool. So, lets create the pool.

# symconfigure -sid 1234 -cmd "create pool pool_1 type=thin;" commit -nop

5. Add the datadevs to pool.

# symconfigure -sid 1234 -cmd "add dev 02ED:034C to pool pool_1 type=thin, member_state=ENABLE;" commit -nop

6. Hopefully you know what is the size of tdevs you will be creating. So you would need to find out how many tdevs you could squeeze in on datadevs added to pool. This is a simple maths. Find out the size of individual datadev using symdev show, multiply by total number of datadevs added to pool, divide that number by size of individual tdev. Round out that figure to get the total number of tdevs you will be creating.

7. Create tdevs to bind to the pool.

# symconfigure -sid 1234 -cmd "create dev count=500, size=24802, emulation=fba, config=TDEV;" commit

7. Bind tdevs to pool

# symconfigure -sid 1234 -cmd "bind tdev 1AAE:1CA1 to pool pool_1;" commit -nop

8. Set the maximum subscription on the pool to whichever value is accepted in your environment.

# symconfigure -sid 1234 -cmd "set pool pool_1, type=thin, max_subs_percent=100;" commit -nop

9. Confirm all done

# symcfg -sid 1234 list -pools

# symcfg -sid 1234 show -pool pool_1 -detail -thin -all -gb | more

# symdev -sid 1234 list -tdev -pools pool_1

28 Posts

August 5th, 2016 09:00

This Procedure what you have shared is finding the data devices that are non pooled and add it to the pool to increase the storage. Thank you for the quick response, but my question is  we added new disks to the VMAX as it is a part of our V-BLOCK, I couldn't see the empty disks there. What is the Procedure to add disks to disk group.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 5th, 2016 22:00

adding new disks to a disk group is a bin file change, requires EMC assistance.

No Events found!