Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2015 11:00

LUN expansions for Windows

Our Windows team frequently asks us to extend the size of a LUN for them and the then extend the volume onto the LUN. Also, becasue they often have some performance requirements, especially on SQL boxes, our standard is to give them striped meta LUNs which are tedius to expand. It would be much better if they used a host side volume manager that could work with LUNs as volume building blocks as is common with UNIX hosts.

Question: How do you guys deal with this requirement? Do you require volume management on Windows hosts or do you accomodate LUN expansions whenever requested? If you require volume management, do the Windows guys simply span SAN disks or do you install something 3rd party like VxVM?

Any advice appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 21st, 2015 19:00

i make my windows guys use PowerPath migration enabler to migrate to bigger striped devices.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 02:00

the technical document for PPME says "The target device must be the same size or larger than the source device and

cannot be in use by any application." How can this be achieved ?

how do they set the target lun on the host not to accept any I/Os please ?

What I understood is that we present the target lun to the host and rest is taken care by the windows folks .

419 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 04:00

The article is simply stating not to configure the new device into your application, don’t create any filesystem and don’t assign a drive letter. PPME will handle the copy process once the lun is visisble to the host.

114 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 06:00

Here is a simple excel file to generate the commands for online meta expansion. It will create an BCV-meta as big as the original, use it to online expand with data protection, then cleanup. Fill up the following cells :

Meta to expand

Number of members (including the meta head) of the existing meta

First device to add and number of members to add (these members should be existing devices with the same size as the originals)

Protection meta start - this is the start range of members that will be used as protection BCV  meta during the expansion. Starting with this device there should be enough consecutive devices to create the BCV meta with the same meta member count as the original. Same requirements for size as above.

POOL - name of the thin pool for the original and protection metas. Make sure you have enough space, the requirement is that the BCV-meta needs to be fully provisioned before it's used for expansion.

This works for TDEVs, For traditional devices remove the bind/unbind steps.

1 Attachment

51 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 07:00

Hello!

I guess this document will be very helpful for you: http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h729-expanding-win-2000-2003-basic-disks-symmetrix-sys.pdf

even with host side commands.

I know that EMC recommends to use stripe in most cases (as I know the performance is better even for thin environment), but in your case will be good to use concatenated meta, you can make a test to create new one as concatenated and check the performance.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 00:00

Thanks Paul & EvgenyM

419 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 02:00

One tip I normally use for the meta expansion is that we require you to create use a BCV device of the same size and configuration as the device you are meaning to expand.  Symconfigure has some copy syntax that can be utilized here to save you doing symdev show and checking cylinder size and config...

e.g.

symconfigure -sid xxx -cmd "configure 1 devices copying dev xxx overriding config=BCV+TDEV;" commit..  Then do a preallocate -persistent on the newly configured BCV+TDEV to ensure we're meeting with all the pre req. 

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 06:00

and yes, it does require a license key. If you are paying maintenance for PP, PPME license is free.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

it's a component that typically is selected by default during PP installation

1-23-2015 9-35-18 AM.jpg

48 Posts

Does PPME require additional software aside from standard PP install and is an additional license needed?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Paul Martin wrote:

One tip I normally use for the meta expansion is that we require you to create use a BCV device of the same size and configuration as the device you are meaning to expand.  Symconfigure has some copy syntax that can be utilized here to save you doing symdev show and checking cylinder size and config...

e.g.

symconfigure -sid xxx -cmd "configure 1 devices copying dev xxx overriding config=BCV+TDEV;" commit..  Then do a preallocate -persistent on the newly configured BCV+TDEV to ensure we're meeting with all the pre req.

please keep in mind that this does not work if source device is in an RDF relationship.

419 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 07:00

Good Point Dynamox

If you're expanding RDF you need to delete the pairing before doing the expansion and you need to expand both sides and do a full sync. 

48 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 08:00

Dynamox, do you have a simple procedure documented for PPME? We're a new EMC customer and I tested PPME more than a year ago during a POC but most of our migrations have been done with OR. Also, how do you get the PPME license if you have PP support?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 10:00

procedure is pretty easy and well documented

PowerPath Migration Enabler 6.x User Guide

PowerPath Migration Enabler 5.7 User Guide

create an SR and specify that you need help with PowerPath licensing. They will forward your SR to the licensing team. You will most likely need to provide an existing PowerPath license key or a sales order number for PowerPath.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 10:00

Paul Martin wrote:

Good Point Dynamox

If you're expanding RDF you need to delete the pairing before doing the expansion and you need to expand both sides and do a full sync.

that plus the actual "configure 1 devices copying dev" command does not work if you are trying to "copy" device that has an active RDF relationship.

No Events found!