2 Bronze

Need help with a host alias

Jump to solution

I'm a total newbie at SYMCLI and would really appreciate some help if possible.

I have a server which was masked to our vmax and has since been decomissioned, the question I have, is even though we have deleted the port, inititator and storage groups, I can still it's Host alias in SMC with the masking between it's wwns and the FA ports.

Using symcli is there any way to manage/interrogate or even delete this Host Alias safely? an example of the command I managed to find and run is below.

C:\>symmask -sid 95 list logins | find /i "c949"
10000000c949a3bc Fibre hostnamexxx   hba1_0           0a0021 No     Yes
10000000c949a409 Fibre hostnamexxx   hba2_0           0b0042 No     Yes

The reason I could find out is because I could see it's wwns listed in SMC and could use the common "c949" reference to latch on to it.

Even a little bit of guidance as to which sym command I need to run would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

CN

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Thorium

Re: Need help with a host alias

Jump to solution

sorry ..not sure what you are after. If you delete masking view, initiator group ..you will still need to delete symmask logins entries.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

sure, you can delete these entries:

symaccess -sid 123 -wwn 500143800727577a -dirport 8g:0 remove -login

Remove 500143800727577a from Login history table of symmetrix 0000000000123 (y/)? y

2 Bronze

Jump to solution

dynamox, thanks for the reply, it gives me some info on what I need, but not all of it.

What I really need is a command to query the host alias, let's say if I didn't have SMC (since I yanked the wwns from it) how would I go about getting the same info?

Also once I delete both the wwn to port masks will the host alias be deleted or is there another command I need to run to accomplish that?

Sorry to be a pain....

CN

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

sorry ..not sure what you are after. If you delete masking view, initiator group ..you will still need to delete symmask logins entries.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dynamox no worries you answered the question perfectly the first time. I'm the thick one

Once I deleted both the sym mask logins (for both wwns) the host alias disappeared and it looks perfect now.

Thanks again for taking the time.

CN

0 Kudos