Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2014 04:00

SRDF initial setup

Hi,

I was asked to create an SRDF session between two arrays located in different cities.

I would like to know what are the pre-requisites to setup an SRDF sessions from array side, what all I need to check with regards to the physical connectivity, configuration specifications ?

I have created the SRDF sessions for pre-configured arrays earlier, but this is the first time trying to do for the brand new symmetrix arrays.

Thank you in advance.

-Naren

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 19th, 2014 04:00

what type of connection between two arrays, IP or fabric extension ? You need to establish communication between RA ports, if FC connectivity you will need to zone RA ports from two arrays and then create RDF group(s).

November 19th, 2014 06:00

Hi Dynamic,

Thank you for your response.

These two arrays are located in different cities and I am assuming that they are connected through IP.

Regards

Narendra

Tata Consultancy Services

Mailto: narendra.r@tcs.com

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 19th, 2014 06:00

Does your array have Gige RA ports ?

November 19th, 2014 20:00

Hi Dynamox,

I still did not visited the Data Centre, I am sure there will be GigE RA

ports.

If possible, could you please provide me the steps which I need to follow

at the array end after the physical connectivity.

It would be great if you can assist me in this case.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Narendra

Tata Consultancy Services

Mailto: narendra.r@tcs.com

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 20th, 2014 05:00

I don't have experience with GigE so can't help you there. Once you establish connectivity you will need to create an RDF group between the array. To see already used/available RA groups you would run this command:

symcfg list -sid 1234 -RA ALL -switched

then you create the actual group

symrdf addgrp -label 234to789 -rdfg 9 -sid 000000001234 -dir 7h -remote_rdfg 9 -remote_sid 00000006789 -remote_dir 10h

again this is what i do when i connect two arrays via FC, i am not sure if these commands are different for when you configure connectivity via GigE.

465 Posts

November 20th, 2014 15:00

You can contact your local account team to get access to Unisphere for VMAX access from the Service Processor as another management alternative.

51 Posts

November 21st, 2014 07:00

Hi!

You can check by this command:

symcfg -sid 1234 list -dir ALL

if you will not see in Type column something like RDF, then you should ask you local EMC staff to make some ports on director as RDF ports. I'm not sure but seems for me only EMC staff can do that by SymmWin.

If you have RFD ports, then you need to zone them to each other R1 site <-> R2 site (dynamox mentioned about that)

as soon as you zone it you can check the connectivity by

symrdf ping

your remote box should answer like that:

Successfully pinged (Remotely) Symmetrix ID: XXXXXXXXXX

it doesn't not matter for your which interface you use Gigi or FA, of course need to have different settings (like Jumbo frame on gigi, or proper BB credit on SAN switch for FC, it depends from a environment)

For new RDF group you can use command from dynamox.

Thanks!

No Events found!