Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2014 13:00

VMAX FAST

hey all ,

Im not getting how FAST is configured , I'm in my learning phase , it would be great if you can help me understand how FAST is configured from scratch . I'll start off by telling you what I know .

I've read alot about FAST and understand  how it works , I kinda know how its configured but Im missing the most basic part and been splitting my head about it .

• Create Storage Tiers
  • Create Policies
  • Associate storage groups with policies
  • Provided the data/performance movement window  

Storage Tiers  - Where are these tiers created from , are they created from an existing thin pool ? or are they a stand alone pool specially meant for FAST .

For e.g - If I have an existing thin pool  of FC drives will a FC storage tier be created from this pool ?

Im basically confused between the standard thin pools and fast pools --- are these the same ?

I have lot of doubts , I've just started with a couple of questions . Want to get my basics right .

AE

2.2K Posts

AE,

A good starting place for your questions is a document that takes you step by step through the entire process of configuring FAST VP from the controller to the policies using either Unisphere or the Solutions Enabler CLI. Complete with lots of great screenshots!

Implementing Fully Automated Storage Tiering for Virtual Pools (FAST VP) for EMC VMAX Series Arrays

https://support.emc.com/docu31001_Implementing_Fully_Automated_Storage_Tiering_for_Virtual_Pools_(FAST_VP)_for_EMC_VMAX_Series_Arrays.pdf?language=en_US

The quick answer to your question though is that a Tier is a logical object that can include one or more Thin Pools (all the Thin pools added to a Tier must be of the same type, speed, and RAID configuration). And yes they are just standard thin pools.

thanks AranH looks like a promising doc  , just what I needed .

Can existing storage groups bound to a FC thin pool  be asigned to a fast policy ?

Regards

AE

June 19th, 2014 14:00

The document is awesome , thans again Aran

2.2K Posts

Glad to help. So the document above is the 'how to configure'. If you want to look at the theory and best practices surrounding FAST VP I highly recommend this one:

FAST VP for Symmetrix VMAX Theory and Best Practices for Planning and Performance

https://support.emc.com/docu31003_FAST_VP_for_Symmetrix_VMAX_Theory_and_Best_Practices_for_Planning_and_Performance.pdf?language=en_US

2.2K Posts

Yes, that is the intent. You create your devices, bind them to a pool, place them in a storage group, then associate the storage group to a policy.

You can either use the storage group used in the masking view or create storage groups just for fast policy assignment. The simplest approach will use the masking view storage group but using a separate storage group for you policy assingment gives you more flexibility.

I get all of it now .

Cheers !

June 20th, 2014 05:00

dynamox!!! cheers for that

June 20th, 2014 05:00

Cool will check it out .

Similarly is there a simple doc explaining SRDF please ?

No Events found!