Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2012 13:00

Archive tools

Does anyone have experience with Archiving tools for around 300TB of data?  I've had difficulty finding any products that can demonstrate they can handle a data set of that size within a reasonable amount of time....

Thanks for the help.

337 Posts

August 24th, 2012 22:00

DX (Disk Extender) / EX (Email Extender) are some of the Archiving Softwares, you can look for. If in case you are looking for a Dedicated Hardware for Archiving, Centera/Atmos can be a good option.

161 Posts

August 27th, 2012 01:00

DataDomain also had appliance dedicated for archiving. DD Archiver capacity scales up to 28.5PB logical(notice it is logical). The 300TB of data from physical environment or viturlizatio environment? I believe Atmos/DataDomain/Centera can be a good option.

7 Posts

August 27th, 2012 02:00

If these 300TB are files/email/sharepoint then you can use EMC SourceOne (S1) - DX/EX mentioned above no longer exist and are replaced by S1.

EMC S1 can archive data to many hardware storage/archive platforms:

* directly attached disk/lun from an array (eg. some SATA drives big disk)

* NAS share

* Centera/ATMOS/DataDomain.

If these 300TB are used by some specific application you may check if this application is supported as EMC Centera complaint (there are hundreds of them). Then this data can be archived directly from your application to Centera/ATMOS solution.

Centera is EMC top hardware archive storage that complies with many US/international regulations and exists more that 8 years. ATMOS is next generations archive storage platform that now fits mainly into web application purposes but it also supports Centera API for storing archive data. If you do not have some very strict regulatory requirements then definitely I would go for ATMOS which can also serve as a user data cloud multisite platform.

I hope it helps.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2012 10:00

The data is propriety file data.  I can't give specifics, but suffice to say it is not something that SourceOne will have a module for. 

The solution should be able to crawl the data for changes within a reasonably short period of time, which I believe eliminates a tool that runs from a single server or appliance.  I am looking for something that can scale it's performance for monitoring the archive for changes.

No Events found!