Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 17th, 2013 07:00

Adding shelf to VNX

I'm going to be installing a new shelf to an existing VNX5300 array.  I realize I should use the Unisphere Server Manager, but I cant seem to find documentation even through Procedure Generator for the step/step guide.  I've read some things that seem to layout:

1) Rack Shelf

2) Power on shelf

3) Set ID on new shelf

4) connect datacable

5) run USM

Can someone please provide a bit more direction on a clear upgrade path.

251 Posts

March 17th, 2013 08:00

USM has a builtin wizard that does it all for you

All you really need to do is rack the shelf and then follow the onscreen prompts from USM

(Under Hardware - > Hardware Installation -> Install Disk Array Enclosure)

It will then prompt to do various things throughout the procedure

Gearoid

2 Intern

• 

227 Posts

March 17th, 2013 15:00

Thanks, can you confirm for me if the Bus ID needs to be set/configured or if USM handles that as well?

812 Posts

March 18th, 2013 03:00

You need to set the enclosure ID only, Bus ID will be taken automatically once you connect the BE cables.

2 Intern

• 

227 Posts

March 18th, 2013 05:00

Thanks again, and thats what I meant "ENCLOSURE".

2 Intern

• 

227 Posts

Thanks Vipin, appreciate the feedback.  To be clear, the Bus ID should just be sequencial based on the number of DAE's connected correct?  So if its the fourth shelf it should be enclosure 3.  Also, the cables should get connected once instructed through USM is that correct.

812 Posts

duhaas wrote:

Thanks Vipin, appreciate the feedback.  To be clear, the Bus ID should just be sequencial based on the number of DAE's connected correct?

I think, you meant enclosure ID here. You can set the enclosure ID in sequence as per your requirement (i.e, if you have up to Bus0_enclosure2 populated, you can have bus0_enclosure3 to this new DAE.)

USM will ask/guide you to connect the cables (First SP-B side i.e, LCC B,  and then the other).

March 19th, 2013 02:00

So if we are talking about the VNX and the 2U/2.5" drive/DAE5S or 3U/3.5" drive/DAE6S enclosures, and if I am understanding the question correctly, no you don't need to (nor can you) manually set the bus or the enclosure id's.  It is assigned automatically based on the bus it is connected to and will be the next contiguous enclosure id to what it is daisy-chained to.  Now this does present a (slight) issue though if you happened to move the DAE after it was assigned, but even then there is a KB article to clear that (emc267717 but not visible to the general public and would require following up with support to walk you through it).  However, again that would only pertain to you if you happened to move the DAE after you brought it online for the first time so maybe tuck that KB article away until it becomes an issue for you.  In the previous architecture though, you did need to manually set the enclosure id by depressing a recessed button but the bus id was also auto-sensed even in that design.

If you follow the USM you will be fine, but unlike the previous architecture, it won't at any time prompt you to manually set any id.

2 Intern

• 

227 Posts

March 19th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the great feedback Chris.  Successfully installed the shelf today with no issues.  Not sure why I cant seem to mark this thread as answered?

812 Posts

March 19th, 2013 21:00

As this thread was opened as a 'discussion' , not a 'question' .

4.5K Posts

March 21st, 2013 14:00

Changed to a Question - you should be able to mark it Answered now

glen

No Events found!