Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2015 07:00

CIFS server file system permissions problem

I have inherited a CIFS server which has some permissions issues on its root file system. It looks like the permissions got overwritten/erased . I am unable to take ownership or do anything with it. The shares are still running and its operational from an end user perspective but I am unable to anything within the file system now . I have tried using emcacl but its not doing the business, does anyone have any recommendations ? Below is a screenshot of the advanced security settings as you can see I am unable to review anything

2015-11-24_15-41-41.png

Thanks

Ian ! ! ! !

1.2K Posts

November 24th, 2015 12:00

Can you give us a little more information on this array?  Is this a VNX 5200?  7600?  Which version of VNX OE for File?

Can you manage the CIFS server via MMC?  If so, can you add yourself to the Local Administrators group, and Take Ownership by changing permissions in Windows?

8.6K Posts

November 25th, 2015 02:00

keep in mind the privileges need for emcacl - which are listed in the manual.

In terms of "root" - if you mean the data mover or vdm rootfs - you cant change their ACLs and you shouldnt need to.

5 Posts

November 25th, 2015 06:00

Its a VNX5300 Block Software Version : 05.32.000.5.216 . File Software Version 7.1.76-4 . I can manage the shares fine using the MMC but I cant add/remove anything from the file system its at this level the permissions have been removed or lost. It doesnt allow me to take ownership if I try it says "unable to set new owner on Access is Denied.

5 Posts

November 25th, 2015 07:00

Its the file system that the CIFS shares reside in. I have another file system being used for the same purpose and its working fine.

1.2K Posts

November 25th, 2015 11:00

This sounds like your account doesn't have the necessary permissions.  Can you use the Windows MMC and see if your account is in the Local Administrators group as I mentioned above?

8.6K Posts

November 26th, 2015 01:00

use server_cifssupport to check what the ACL's and effective permissions are for that path and your account.

5 Posts

November 26th, 2015 06:00

I can confirm it is in the local admin group .

5 Posts

November 30th, 2015 07:00

I have ran this already and past the output to EMC support .. The case is now closed saying "The problem is the acl was removed at some point. You’ll need to re-add it with a product like emcacl or another 3rd party product. I’ve attached emcacl and the readme to the SR. I highly suggest either using a test files system or taking a rw checkpoint of the file system prior to using emcacl or a similar app. Please change the extension to .exe from .emc." I have tried using emcacl with no joy!

8.6K Posts

November 30th, 2015 07:00

I would suggest to troubleshoot using server_cifssupport

8.6K Posts

December 1st, 2015 01:00

Then I would suggest to have the SR re-opened

No Events found!