Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2015 14:00

Can I mix different 3.5" SSD drive models for FAST VP?

Hi All,

I have a dilemma.

I've got a VNX5200 array with the following - 3 x 100GB 3.5" FAST VP SSD drives (model: V4-VS6FX-100, part number: 005050112). Per EMC drive support matrix, they can be used for FAST VP ONLY (NOT FOR USE WITH FAST CACHE!!!).

I also have 5 x 100GB 3.5" SSD drives (model: V4-VS6F-100, part number:005050496). Per EMC drive support matrix, they can be used for FAST VP or FAST CACHE.

Plus a bunch of SAS and NLSAS drives, which are not a concern.

With that said, I am thinking that my SSD drive configuration options are:

Option one:

1. Configure 3 x V4-VS6FX-100 (the first drives mentioned) for FAST VP - does not make any sense, as the recommended config is R5 4+1. Although I am not 100% certain. What is the minimum amount of SSD drives that is allowed/supported for the extreme performance tier (FAST VP). Can you please comment on this?
  2. Configure 5 x V4-VS6F-100 for FAST CACHE - makes sense, as the drives can be used for this purpose, and I will have two pairs, plus a hot-spare.

Option two is getting more creative:

1. Combine 3 x V4-VS6FX-100 (FAST VP ONLY drives) with 2 x V4-VS6F-100 (FAST VP or FAST CACHE drives) and configure them for FAST VP - makes sense, as I can have a R5 4+1 in the pool for extreme performance, however I do not know if I can mix these different drive models for the same purpose. Can you please comment on this? This is the main concern. I do not feel that it is a good idea though, as I prefer to have homogeneous hardware in my configurations to avoid any potential incompatibility issues. And I cannot find any info on the EMC support site if I can or cannot do it.
  2. Configure 3 remaining V4-VS6F-100 drives for FAST CACHE - makes sense, as the drives can be used for this purpose, and I will have one pair, plus a hot-spare.

Option three:

1. Purchase two more V4-VS6FX-100 drives (these are the ones that can be used for FAST VP ONLY). Configure 5 of them for FAST VP.
  2. Configure 5 x V4-VS6F-100 for FAST CACHE - makes sense, as the drives can be used for this purpose, and I will have two pairs, plus a hot-spare.

Any input is appreciated.

January 8th, 2015 18:00

A couple of points;

• I'm told that FAST-VP Extreme-performance tier is minimum of 4+1. Even if you could, I'd avoid doing it with only 3 drives.
  • You cannot mix Flash drive types in a FAST-VP Pool, the UI won't even allow you to select/mix them, and will present each group separately.

Also, If you only have a single Flash Hot Spare, it cannot spare for the different Flash types. (IE  eMLC (FX/FastVP drives) cannot spare for SLC  (FastCache drives).

Hot spare matrix;

HotSpares.jpg

Most of this is documented in https://support.emc.com/docu48786_White-Paper:-VNX-MCx-Multicore-Everything.pdf

From the options you have listed, I would personally lean towards Option 3, with consideration given to getting another V4-VS6FX-100 to be used as a Hot Spare.

No Events found!