Thanks

Mohan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
alfredo_SnT
2 Iron

Re: DFS replication support for Celerra

Hi Mohandas,

This is an interesting question. DFS is a feature of Microsoft windows. Celerra implements this features by its own technologies like Celerra Replicator, MirrorView/S, high availability and so on. So this would be the Celerra-way of addressing these performance and availability issues.

Cheers

0 Kudos
mholzhauer
1 Copper

Hi Alfredo,

but what happens if I would like to do the replication on the basis of my DFS?

The construct I planned looks like this:

- 2 W2K8 SP2 Servers as Namespace Hosts

- 2 Celerra with CIFS Shares

=> Migrate one share after another from one Celerra to the other through adding Link Targets in DFS Management Snap-In and configuring DFS-R for these targets

Does the use of DFS-R with CIFS shares of a cellera work generally, or do I have to think about specific versions of windows operating system or DART?

Or is this not possible and I need to map the shares on the W2K8 Servers additionally?

Thanks for your help,

Markus

0 Kudos

Did you manage to work this out. I have a similar situtation that I am looking into.

Thanks

JB

0 Kudos

Looks like this is a pretty old thread and hopefully the Mohan figured this out a while ago..

As Alfredo mentioned, DFS-R is a Windows specific function.  DFS is the namespace manager while DFS-R is specifically a replication mechanism.  In the case of Celerra CIFS shares, the Celerra replicates the CIFS shares regardless of whether DFS is in use or not. 

DFS redirects clients to the appropriate CIFS share which could be hosted on Windows, Celerra, or another platform.

DFS-R being a replication technology is redundant to Celerra Replicator and not applicable to Celerra CIFS shares.

Assuming you are replicating the CIFS shares inside a Virtual DataMover, failing over the CIFS share/CIFS server from the source Celerra to the target Celerra maintains the same CIFS server and share names, and DFS will automatically redirect clients to the new location.  DFS is actually oblivious to the change in this case.

Not sure if this was a question, but I will point out that using DFS-R to replicate data between a Windows server and a Celerra is not possible though.  DFS-R supports Windows-to-Windows replication, Celerra Replicator supports Celerra-to-Celerra replication.  DFS namespace supports either technology.

0 Kudos