Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2016 00:00

Event log translator

Is there a special tool or internet resource to use for translation VNX event logs into human-friendly exploration?

For example, I have an error message "Bus 2 Enclosure 0 Disk 13 Soft SCSI bus error...". Event Code = 0x711c4003.

What does it mean? Is it a disk failure or SAS link error? Should I take an action or no action is needed?

How can I read a full explanation about the event with the 0x711c4003 code and find corrective action plan to solve the issue?

8.6K Posts

April 4th, 2016 05:00

First thing would be a search in the knowledgebase

If that doesn’t help I suggest opening a service request

April 4th, 2016 06:00

Thank you, Rainer!

Yes, it is the simplest way to create a service request. But before that, I want to investigate myself and maybe there is no issue and no need for request. And there are not always articles in the KB to look.

4.5K Posts

April 7th, 2016 09:00

Doing a search on support.emc.com returns this KB article (click on link below):

https://support.emc.com/kb/462436

This would explain what the error 711c4003 error means - but the description is "Soft SCSI bus error" on disk Bus 2 Enclosure 0 Disk 13. Soft is the key word as a soft error usually means the error is recoverable and not a problem. If you get too many of these, Flare will track the frequency of the errors and when a certain level is reached, it will trigger a replacement request - Flare will either proactively replace the disk or it will send an alert that the disk will need to be replaced.

glen

April 8th, 2016 06:00

Yes, Glen, thank you. I've got it.

No Events found!