Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

June 15th, 2018 08:00

How can I remove a LUN from one Storage Group and Add to New Storage Group

I am migrating to a new Citrix Farm. I created a new storage Group with the new Hosts. I want to keep the original LUNs with my data still on them and move them to the New Storage Group. So I don't have to export all of the servers and re import them.

All I can find is REMOVE which tells me it will lose all data on the LUN once removed!

Is there a way to move a LUN intact?

4.5K Posts

June 18th, 2018 07:00

What array model is this? VNX?

Once you create the new Storage Group with the new hosts, you can just add the LUNs from the old Storage Group to then new one, but you should remove the old hosts from the old Storage Group first.

If you want to have the old host and the new host be able to access the same  LUNs, you could do the same as above but make sure that both sets of hosts are in the same cluster so that you have record locking.

Or you could remove the LUNs from the old Storage Group first, then add the LUNs to the new Storage Group. When you Remove a LUN from a Storage Group, the data does not get destroyed, but the new Hosts will need to be able to import the LUN metadata. I don't know how Citrix works when discovering a new LUN that another host used but this is the part that will be important.

You could try creating a new LUN in the old Storage group and configure it and put some data on it then remove it and add it to the new Storage Group to see if the new hosts can see and use that LUN.

glen

2 Posts

June 18th, 2018 08:00

I am running VNX 5300's

I guess I was looking at this from a different angle. I was trying to migrate a few LUNS too the new Storage Group while still maintaining my current Storage Group.

I have two Pools of servers in Citrix my current production pool and the new pool. I was wanting to move some of the LUNS to the new pool without having to create new ones to get the new pool loaded.

From what you are saying I could migrate the data off of a LUN to the others so that Storage Group One doesn't have any activity on it, then Add it to Storage Group Two and use it. It would still be in two pools but not have to worry about recoed locking issues.

As far as removing a LUN from the old storage group first, there is no remove, the only options I have are Expand, Delete, Migrate or Trespass! Delete seems like the only one that would "remove" it from the Storage Group and it tells me I will lose all data on the LUN when I delete it.

4.5K Posts

June 26th, 2018 08:00

in Unisphere go to Hosts/Storage groups. Right click on the name of the Storage Group and select Properties, then select the tab for LUNs - in there the LUNs are listed at the bottom - if you select a LUN there is a button at the bottom that says "Remove". Note also there is a column called "Host LUN ID" - this is the host LUN number that the array presents to the host. When you add a LUN to a new Storage Group the HLU will get auto filled - the first LUN will be HLU 0 (zero). It is important that you always have an HLU 0 so that the host does not see a LUNZ (fake LUN). You can set the HLU when you add a new LUN by clicking is the space where the number would be before you click on Finish. If you want the new hosts to see the LUNs the same way as the old hosts, you should note down which LUNs have which HLU number and set them the same way in the new Storage Group.

The Host tab is also where you can add/remove hosts in the Storage Group.

glen

No Events found!