Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 28th, 2015 07:00

How do I to add users to a Standalone CIFS Server?

I have followed what I believe to be the procedure documented within the emc documentation, but I have not been able to add any local users and / or groups to the standalone cifs server that is running on the data mover.

Any insight on what I am doing wrong?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

can you describe each step that you performed ?

8.6K Posts

You need to use mmc from a Windows client

Please use the search on the forum – this has been discussed here frequently

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 28th, 2015 18:00

I have read the forum post around this subject before I posted anything to the community.  I have used little nuggets found around the forum which assisted me in getting closer to what I hope is a working solution.

For example

I have correctly created a security context as mention on the forum using the format @ and I am currently using the mmc application from my windows 7 desktop client.

I am getting an error message when clicking on the Local Users and Groups stating the following

Unable to access the computer xx.xxx.xx.xxx.  The error was: The RPC server is unavailable.

I have search the VNX Support forum for information around "The RPC server is unavailable" but haven't found anything that has help so far, which is why I asked for help.

i.e.  Re: Can't access stand alone CIFS share?

* I already changed the administrator password

* I already rebooted both DM

I will attempt to reboot both DM again as I am currently out of ideas.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 28th, 2015 19:00

Solutions

(1) access denied message within the Local Users and Group "tab"

when setting the security context you need to specify the user as @

i.e.

net use \\steel\ipc$ /user:administrator@steel

(2) rpc server is unavailable

it appears that forward and reverse dns entries MUST be present, I ended up having to the add an entry to the %systemroot%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts in order to complete the configuration instead of waiting for IT to propagate the DNS servers.

8.6K Posts

May 29th, 2015 02:00

Yes these days you do want a working DNS or LDAP setup

If everything is in the same subnet you can get away with old Netbios or lmhosts but with newer Windows enforcing not to use the old protocols it gets more difficult and cumbersome to troubleshoot

No Events found!