Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2012 10:00

How to Change LUN ID

I am very new to EMC products and I need some very simple help.  I am trying to configure Cisco UCS blades to boot from a VNX5300 SAN using FC on a Nexus 5000.  I have configured the UCS all the way to the VNX, and have created the boot LUNs for each blade, but I can not figure out how to change the LUN ID to 0 for ESXi.  I know with other storage you can create the LUN, then go into its properties and change it, but I can not find that option, the LUN ID is not editable.  Also, I when I try to add the host it wants the IP of the host, how can I add the IP of the host that isn't configured yet??  Thank you for the help.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2012 11:00

Storage Pools and Storage Groups, I didn't catch the difference but I see it now.  Okay, I figured out how to set 1 of the boot LUNs to LUN ID 0, but I can not get all of them configured to ID 0 in the same Storage Group, is this normal??  THe better question might be what is the best pratice for setting up ESXi to boot from SAN on this VNX system.  Also, how do I add the Hosts without having valid IPs for them yet??  Thank you.

1.4K Posts

September 4th, 2012 11:00

To see what the Host LUN ID is compared to the CLARiiON LUN ID, you must bring up Navisphere/Unisphere Manager and go into the Host properties. The Storage tab displays the CLARiiON LUN ID and the Host LUN ID.  

To change the Host LUN ID you must remove the LUN from the Storage Group and re-add it back into the Storage Group. Before applying it, you must slide over to the last column to the right and click in the field. You will then get a drop-down menu to set the Host LUN ID to what you want it to be. 

Note: This is a disruptive operation. The host will not have access to the LUN while it is removed from the Storage Group.

Please, refer KB Article: 116197.

1.4K Posts

September 4th, 2012 12:00

In addition to what dynamox said, please, refer to Host Connectivity Guide for VMWare ESX Server Page 239.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 4th, 2012 12:00

only one LUN in storage group can be LUN id 0. Since you are using UCS, you could create two vHBAs and use that for boot from SAN, that would go into dedicated storage group for that host (with just one LUN), the other set of vHBAs could be connected to your "shared" storage group where you have LUNs that you use for VMFS datastores.

23 Posts

September 5th, 2012 08:00

We will  also soon  implement "boot form SAN" on a UCS and I'd like to better understand the idea of using additional vHBAs when you can just creat a storage group for each host in the cluster and have LUN 0 as a stand alone device for each host.The shared luns can then be added to each storage group.

Also another question that comes up is what are the safeguards agaainst a corrupted boot device? Would it amke since to image the boot device, save this image elsewhere disk, tape, and then restore if in the event there is corruption?

Thanks,

Dali

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 5th, 2012 08:00

you have to manage adding "shared" luns to each individual storage groups, sure ..it's doable. With UCS you can have your vHBAs dedicated for shared storage to be in the same "shared storage" storage group.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 5th, 2012 10:00

Also another question that comes up is what are the safeguards agaainst a corrupted boot device? Would it amke since to image the boot device, save this image elsewhere disk, tape, and then restore if in the event there is corruption?

you can with local and remote replication technologies ...does it make sense for your shop, i don't know. I know some shops where everything is booted from SAN and everything is SRDF'ed to remote site where they have standby servers. Great for BC but comes with a $ tag.

23 Posts

September 5th, 2012 12:00

Interesting we did think about doing this for quick recovery if need be. We are looking at 5 GB devices, not sure if compressing will buy us anything. Will compressing shrink the device size or just the content?

Dali

8.6K Posts

September 5th, 2012 12:00

Seems like the easiest way would be to just clone the LUN on the VNX

You could also compress your ”archived” LUN tehn and save some space there

8.6K Posts

September 5th, 2012 13:00

Compressing the LUN will just reduce the amount of disk space it uses

It needs to be a pool based LUN though and should have high write activity

7 Posts

May 9th, 2013 16:00

John;

Did you check this article I posted?  It shows how to set a specific LUN host ID.

How to create a LUN with a matching or specific HOST LUN ID

@jonathanlackman

No Events found!