Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2012 12:00

NDMP Backup of CIFS Servers to Data Domain

I have been provided with a Data Domain to backup my VNX file data. I have an addtional 4 copper ports but no FC / VTL license.

On my data mover I have two CIFS servers which are on seperate VDM's due to internal policies and requirements. These CIFS servers are on seperate IP networks and no traffic can route through (however they do share the same VNX and data mover).

I have Backup Exec with NDMP licenses and am hoping that I can backup both CIFS data using NDMP without the need for the Backup Exec Media Server to access the restricted network (as this would not be possible).

The questions I have are:

1. Can I achieve backups of both CIFS servers (same data mover) without the Media Server needing to access both networks that the CIFS servers service.

2. What is the most effective way to achieve this

3. If not, what options do I have.

If someone could also give me a brief overview of the data flow in this scenario that would be useful. As I understand it the Media Server tells the NDMP server where to send the data? and therfore no data actually passes through the Media Server. Therefore the data transfer for backup data only occurs between the VNX/Data Mover and Data Domain?

Responses are very much appreciated!

Thanks

JB

63 Posts

OS 5.0.2.3 is the version on the DD so we should be good.

Rainer_EMC - Thanks for the help. Connectivity to the DM isnt a problem, it would become a problem if the Backup Exec Server needed to access the CIFS which I think we are good with.

A dedicated nic in the DM for the backup traffic would be a good idea I'm assuming which is on the same network as the Backup Exec Server and the Data Domain.

Now, is there anything I need to configure on the DD side for this configuration (other than the networking). I believe I need to do some configuration on the DM for it to use NDMP but not sure about the DD.

Thanks again

JB

8.6K Posts

The VNX ndmp server is per DM and not restricted per VDM – it can backup / restore any data on that physical data mover.

If your backup server doesn’t “see” the VDM file systems just configure it to use that path you see with server_mount – like /root_vdm_1/

So yes you can backup both VDMs as long as you hat at least one interface on your DM (doesn’t have to be a CIFS server interface) that can talk to your backup server.

Even if you backup to FC (SAN) attached virtual tape drives on the Data Domain you still need IP connectivity between the DM and the backup server for backup control and sending back the indexes.

Rainer

8.6K Posts

Since the DD just emulates a tape drives there much config info for that

You might find more in the DD docs

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

what version/model on Data Domain ?

You really have two options, one is to run NDMP using FC where you present VTL to datamover's AUX ports. Second option is to use 3-way NDMP where data flows through the regular IP network. I believe in the newer version of Data Domain, it can be the "NDMP server" so data will travel over ip from datamover directly to Data Domain, all metadata traffic still need to travel to your BE catalog server (or whatever it's called).

63 Posts

OK, I'll investigate that then unless someone can quickly confirm.

I can get hold of a Backup Exec NDMP licesne no problem but I dont have the VTL for the DD and that probably wont be possible at this point.

So without VTL I can't use the DD as an NDMP server but I can use the Backup Exec which will backup the data mover directly.

Thanks again for your brilliant help.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Johnny_Bravo wrote:

Thanks for the response.

So just the metadata in that instance which comes from the datamover and has no dependany on the CIFS servers.

it depends on the version of code you are running on Data Domain.  If your version of Data Domain does not support being the "NDMP Server", you will need to run everything to your media server. Let me check what version introduced that functionality.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

ok, your DD has to be at 5.x  but if i am reading this right , you still need the VTL license. So you just might have to use your media server as the NDMP server. I know netbackup requires a seperate license to run NDMP ..not sure about BE.

NDMP Tape Server Software Option

• Allows Network Attached Storage devices to be backed up using NDMP directly

over Ethernet to a Data Domain system. Provides remote or three-way NDMP

version 4 protocol over Ethernet.

• NDMP Tape Server functionality is provided with the optional Open Systems VTL

license and the optional IBM i software license. Systems without either of these VTL

licenses will require the NDMP Tape Server license.

• See the Backup Applications Compatibility List for supported applications

63 Posts

Thanks for the response.

So just the metadata in that instance which comes from the datamover and has no dependany on the CIFS servers.

I have had a hard time finding any sort of config guide that is specific to VNX using Data Domain, I don't suppose there is one I may have missed?

63 Posts

January 29th, 2012 13:00

The discover tape drives is where I get confused now. I dont have a VTL license for the DD and its going over copper to the DD/VNX.

Is this going to be a problem? Ie. For what I need to achieve do I need a VTL license or is this a logical thing on the VNX to enable NDMP?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

January 29th, 2012 13:00

On the VNX you need to configure

NDMP user and password

Discover tape drives

8.6K Posts

January 29th, 2012 16:00

With copper do you mean Ethernet?

8.6K Posts

January 29th, 2012 16:00

If you don't have FC then there is no tape discovery and you are doing 3way NDMP over Ethernet

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 29th, 2012 17:00

i am looking over this guide i am not sure if it's possible to use Backup exec as NDMP server, something that you need to verify with Symantec. I can see they are using another NAS appliance that has physically attached tape drives.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48957

63 Posts

January 29th, 2012 23:00

Yes thats right Rainer_EMC, no FC on this solution. 3-way NDMP seems to be the only way. Can I achieve this with Backup Exec as the Media Server do you know and can the DD still be the NDMP Server?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

January 30th, 2012 01:00

See the VNX NDMP manual for architecture diagrams

In you case the DD would have to act as the NDMP tape server since BE cant do that

No Events found!