Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2011 07:00

Simplicity of VNXe 3100

OK So I have replication set-up from my NS40G to my newly installed VNXe 3100;  do to EMC's desire to make the VNXe so simple to install and manage I am struggling with finding the button to gain access to these replicated file systems; can someone point me in the direction of a document that describes this?

Thanks,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2012 06:00

Hello Dadart,

You can find information about VNXe Replication on the chapter 6 of the "EMC® VNXe™ Series - Using a VNXe System with CIFS Shared Folders".

This chapter gives you an overview of the VNXe Replication and example on how to implement this solution.

I hope this helps you.

Carlos Hajime.

20 Posts

May 18th, 2011 12:00

No I am not able to see the file system on the replicated side.  If I go though the MMC and create a share I can access the file system but I don't necessarily what to do this for all the file systems I have replicated; I just want to be able to see them in unishpere; in addition it would be nice to create predefined destination file systems to replicate to and delete them if needed. Attached is a screenshot of my shared folders view. 

1 Attachment

20 Posts

Yes I am trying to access or at least see the filesystem on the secondary/DR side.   I have a bunch of options to create things but not many options to just access or view things.  I am not really sure what you would like a screenshot of? The attached is the dashboard; do you need something different?

1 Attachment

20 Posts

Forgot to mention yes the NS40G is the source and the VNXe is the destination

727 Posts

I am assuming that you are trying to access the replicated file system on the DR/Secondary side? You would have Read Only access to that file system. Can you see the access details of the file system in Unisphere?

If you can provide a screenshot of what you see in Unisphere (for VNXe), it would be easier to help.

727 Posts

Are you able to see the replicated file system on the destination side? You can see this by going to Storage -> Shared Folders. Your replicated file system should be listed there.

Also, I am assuming that the replication is currently running with NS40G as source and VNX3100 as destination - is that correct?

727 Posts

In your original post, you mentioned that you have replication set up between these systems. It seems that you are not replicating between the storage systems currently. You would have needed to create a destination file system on the VNXe as part of the process. Did you set up a replication connection between the systems (this is the first step in the process)?

We are working on putting together a document to help explain how to setup replication using VNXe systems.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 18th, 2011 13:00

Celerra/VNX to VNXe and the other way around ?  That would be great.

20 Posts

To set-up replication

From the vnxe

Hosts-> replication connections -> add replication connection-> chose celerra or vnx from the drop down (system type) -> gave the IP of the control station for the NS40G -> added system name -> created passphrase then confirmed passphrase -> clicked next -> the VNXe complained about not being able to set-up the connection automatically and said I would have to manually set-up this connection from the Celerra.

From the Celerra CLI

Ran ->nas_cel -create name of VNXe -ip ip of VNXe -passphrase passphrase I created on the VNXe

From the VNXe

Highlighted my replication connection I created earlier -> clicked verify and update connection

Logged into Unisphere for the NS40G -> replicas -> replications -> checked the Celerra network server tab saw the VNXe -> checked the DM interconnects tab noticed that both SPs from the VNXe were listed.

Proceeded to set-up replications -> noticed that the replications are marked as completed from the NS40G -> noticed a bunch of space is shown as consumed on the VNXe.

Launched the MMC from my desktop-> connected to the CIFS server on my VNXe -> went to shared folders set-up a share have been able to successfully browse to the files

20 Posts

I do have these file systems replicating; as I said before if I set-up a share on the CIFS server that I have on my VNXe3100 I can see all the replicated files.  I can also see the replication is successful from the NS40G.

20 Posts

As far as creating the destination file system can someone tell me how I would do this in the VNXe?  I mean the interface tries to help you create the file system but the Celerra dos not see these as read only file systems.

727 Posts

I am a little confused about what you have done till now. Can you summarize the steps that you have done to setup this replication and how you are checking if replication is successful?

20 Posts

May 18th, 2011 17:00

Just to add to this post.  If anyone is able to provide insigt into how you would go about creating a read only file system on a VNXe I think this would point me in the direction of the information that I am looking for.  

130 Posts

May 19th, 2011 06:00

In the Storage > Shard Folders page, there is a button to "Create Replication Destination."  This wizard will create a R/O shared folder on the VNXe.

No Events found!