Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2010 04:00

Upgrade Cx3-20 disks from 2Gb to 4 Gb

Hello...

We currently have a CX3-20 disk box (all 2Gb 10K disks) and we want to replace all the disks with new 15k 4Gb...  (So we can run at 4Gb)..

We purchased 15 x15k 4Gb disks...

What is the best method for replacing the 10k Disks...  just to start from the slot 0 and replace 1st disk.. let it fully rebuild...  then then replace the next one?  (or should i start from the Non FLARE OS disks (i.e.  not the first 5)..  and replace them first and only do the FLARE OS at the end?)

or...  we actually purchased the new disks with a DAE.. so should be plug that into the loop and then somehow move the FLARE OS across...

any help would be appreciated...

Cheers

Anthony

111 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 07:00

A bus (a.k.a  loop) must be set to either 2GB or 4GB. The speed is set the first time the bus is powered up and scanned in the array and is set based on the lowest component speed detected on that bus. In your case since there are 2GB drives the bus is set to 2GB. Any 4GB component added to that bus, such as a 4GB drive will negotiate to 2GB when placed in a bus set to 2GB. In order to reset the bus to 4GB all of the devices on that bus (DAEs and drives) must be capable of operating at 4GB and then you will need to run the back-end bus reset wizard which will cold reboot for the array.

You can add your new DAE to the existing bus, but all the 4GB devices (DAEs and drives) will operate at 2GB.

If you have data on any of the drives and also since you have to swap the vault drives this complicates the upgrade. It is possible to swap out the vault drives however there are some specific and different procedures you must do depending on the FLARE version you are running to prevent a DUDL situation. Additionally there are criteria that must be meant on the vault drive configuration if they contain data. This is a procedure only supported if performed by an EMC or ASN partner support person. Please contact your support person.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 25th, 2010 12:00

You should contact your local support person for this upgrade since it is very complicated.

1 Message

June 8th, 2010 11:00

I'm in the same boat as AntLingard. I was told by our system rep that a migration of flare isn't possible when replacing vault drives. I don't understand why you couldn't replace vault drives one at a time with 4 Gb drives, allowing them to completely rebuild, power off the array, and then make the switch in bus speed? Isn't that the purpose of RAID? Why wouldn't that rebuild each vault drive completely allowing the switchover? That is assuming that the 2Gb vault drives would be the last reason why the bus speed was still 2Gb.

Anyone care to explain that one! LOL

56 Posts

June 11th, 2010 05:00

Its always better to contact EMC support if not sure about the replacement.

No Events found!