Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2018 10:00

Upgrade VNX5500 SAS disk with VNX5300 SSD

We do not have EMC support so this is much more of a science project as I'm also at the point of having to access Unisphere through a W7 VM because of Java complications anyway.  Also when I try to login with USM I get certificate errors.  I am able to PUTTY into the systems.

All I'm trying to do is add the SSDs we pulled from our VNX5300 to the VNX5500 where 600gb SAS drives currently reside.  I'm guessing its not as easy as removing the SAS from the pool, physically pulling the disk and then inserting the SSD because that would just be way too easy.  I understand that best practices say to put them in certain locations and that is the plan, I'm looking for more of, Do I need to run something so the VNX5500 knows the SSD is supposed to be there?  If so, what do I need to run?

Thanks,

Jeff

6 Posts

June 28th, 2018 05:00

as an update, I got around my USM problem by getting midevil and copying the entire USM folder from a previously attached machine and replacing the one on the VM.  Somehow that actually worked.  I have upgraded the firmware on the 5300 and am looking at upgrading the software next.

8.6K Posts

June 28th, 2018 07:00

if you have issues with Java there is a standalone Unisphere available for download

you cannot remove a drive from a pool though - you would have to delete the pool

if you just pull them you will for sure damage the pool and make it go offline

your only choice is to create new pool, use LUN migration or host based migration to migrate everything to the new pool.

Once the old pool is empty you can delete it.

Also you need to check drive compability matrix

6 Posts

June 28th, 2018 07:00

I had no idea about the stand alone client and will be looking into that right after this reply, Thanks for that.  I understand about the Pools having to be deleted first and that is presenting its own issues.  We have completely cleared off the VNX5300 already to the extent of running zerodisk on all drives except the vaults.

Let me word my question another way.

When I am ready (all prechecks completed) to pull a compatible SSD from the VNX5300 and install it into an slot on the VNX5500 where an unbound SAS drive once was, do I need to do anything to refresh the VNX5500 system or will it just be smart enough to realize the change and not freak out since the slot/drive is unbound?

8.6K Posts

June 29th, 2018 03:00

the system should recognize the disk when you insert it

6 Posts

June 29th, 2018 06:00

I understand Fast Cache Best Practices dictate the drives should reside in the first enclosure of each Bus, but is that a hard and fast rule or will a black hole open up if I add like SSD drives to Fast Cache located at 1_7_0-2?  We are tight on disk slots and the only unbound open disk locations are nowhere near 1_0_0.

4.5K Posts

June 29th, 2018 08:00

Best Practice is a guideline - if you don't have the free slots in the lower buses, then you have to use what you have. There may be a slight impact on performance.

glen

No Events found!