Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2014 15:00

VNX - Performance Analyzer - Statistics for Blocks

Hi All,

We have VNX7600 in our environment and is a brand new box, Oracle DB team is performing  some tests by creating table, etc... Later to analyze the performance on the VNX array I have enabled performance data logging with archive and real time interval set to 300 secs.

1.Can anyone explain what is the purpose of setting Real Time Interval and where it will be useful?

2. By tomorrow all the tests will be done and I will have enough NAR files gathered, so I would like to have a report on the NAR files gathered, Can anyone guide me where to upload the NAR files to generate a report on it?

Thanks

Dino

1K Posts

October 16th, 2014 16:00

The Real Time interval is used when viewing real time performance of the array when viewing the stats in Unisphere Analyzer. You can open Unisphere Analyzer and look at the stats of the array at that point in time.

There are a ton of tools out there for nar data analysis. I recommend you look at mitrend: Mitrend - Login

October 16th, 2014 16:00

Hi Maxi,

Please let me know are you archiving and gathering the .Nar and Sp Collects for some Midterm Performance assesment.

Thanks & Regards

Gaganpreet Singh

Zensar Storage Support

2 Intern

• 

4K Posts

October 16th, 2014 20:00

There is an internal tool called narscandisks which can parse the nar logs and generate a text report.

2 Intern

• 

715 Posts

October 17th, 2014 01:00

Hi Dino;

1.     The Real Time Interval is only applied when viewing the stats in real time, not when using merged NAR files. Lower values create faster updates on the real time graphs

2.      You'll have to merge the NAR files together and they can then be either analyzed from the Archive Manager "
Open Archive" menu or alternatively you can give Mitrend a go for some pre-canned analytics.

Of course being an EMC employee you probably have access to far more sophisticated and automated analysis tools than I (as just a customer) do ! 

October 22nd, 2014 10:00

Looks like you've gotten some pretty good answers on here already about the difference between real time and archive interval. I would mention a few things:

First is that I would recommend you make sure that the "Periodic Archiving" box is checked (in the same place you set the intervals). That will make sure that you generate a nar file every few hours rather than just generating a nar file manually or when data logging is stopped.

Second, while 300 seconds is a decent interval for if you are going to leave data logging running for long periods of time, if you are going to actively look at data and do performance analysis, I would recommend using a lower value (60 or 120) to get more granular data.

Aside from using Unisphere itself to view the nar files like Brett@S mentioned above, there are a number of EMC internal tools available to review nar files either by support or your local account team. As Ernes said, Mitrend is also a very useful tool for reviewing the overall performance on the array.

82 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 13:00

Thanks Ernes, Roger, Brett@S and Joshua.

All your suggestions makes complete sense and really useful, let me try with the best I have access to.

Dino

82 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 13:00

Gaganpreet Singh,

Yes, need to assess the overall performance of the array while some database tests were running.

Dino

No Events found!