Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2015 12:00

VNX Virtual Data Mover backups with NetBackup

I need to configure Symantec NetBackup to back up a virtual data mover on a VNX 5200.  The VNX has a single Virtual Data Mover (VDM). Lets call it fs01. It is hosted on data mover server_2. fs01 has one interface with IP address of 192.168.22.22. It also has a share called test created on the vdm. The physical data mover does not have any other interfaces associated with it.

When I run the following command I get the output -

server_mount server_2
server_2:
root_fs_2 on / uxfs,perm,rw
root_fs_common on /.etc_common uxfs,perm,ro
root_fs_vdm_vdm_fs1 on /root_vdm_3/.etc uxfs,perm,rw
fs_fs01_test on /root_vdm_3/fs_fs01 uxfs,perm,rw

The ndmp user has already been created on the server_2 data mover using the server_user server_2 -add -password ndmp command.

Most of the process in the configuration guides make sense, but one thing I am NOT clear on is when configuring the backup policy, do I specify the physical data mover (server_2) or the virtual data mover (fs01) as the NDMP host in NetBackup? And if I specify server_2 in NetBackup, do I use the interface associated with the VDM fs01 (i.e. add it to etc/hosts file) or do I need another interface associated with the physical data mover?

Also, if I specify server_2, if the vdm fails over to server_3 data mover, what has to be done to ensure backups will continue?

Any assistance will be appreciated!

8.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 13:00

NDMP is not VDM aware so you need to specify the physical data mover and the full path like /root_vdm_3/fs_fs01

In terms of which interface to use – both will work

In terms of DM failover no changes should be necessary – provided that your backup device is recognized properly there

Always a good idea to test that

No Events found!