Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2014 04:00

VNX5400: cannot connect

I have a VNX5400 storage system directly connected to a Cisco network device via FC ports and optic cables. The links don't come up. Status of the Cisco devices ports is "Link down", their LEDs are dark, but green LEDs are lit under the VNX FC ports. However, the status of those ports in the Unisphere Manager is "Uninitialized".

The question is, how can I view more detailed status of the FC ports on the VNX system? And what can I check to determine the cause of the problem? Maybe I should somehow initialize the FC ports on the VNX system?

Additional information:

* the latest firmware is installed in the VNX system;

* the unified communication ports on the Cisco devices (Cisco blade interconnects 6248UP) are designated as FC Storage ports;

* 8 Gbit/s FC SFPs are used in both the systems;

* the FC modules in the VNX system weren't a part of the initial system configuration, they were added later.

I suspect that the case of this issue is wrong optic cables used to connect the devices. But right now I have no replacement cables. Any other ideas?

2 Posts

June 24th, 2014 05:00

If its a 4 port FC module, you can't just plug it in. You have to use the USM, and plug it in when it tells you to. I assume that you're direct connecting into the Fabric Interconnects, i.e. not going via fabric switches.  This is only supported by Cisco UCS firmware 2.1 and higher. Another thought, can you see light into your fiber cable from both ends and are the fibers round the right way?

Good luck

June 24th, 2014 04:00

Hi lotto74,

I suppose the problem could be at FC module end, as you added it after the initial system configuration, not so sure, need to check with EMC whether these FC module ports are enabled or not. Try swapping cables as well.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

ports on VNX should not be listed as "Unitialized", work with support. You can go to Settings, Network to view port status

12 Posts

I believe I described it a bit incorrectly. We received the FC modules after the system was initially shipped to us. However, I didn't turn the system on before those modules had been installed.

I installed several EMC systems in the past ten years, and I don't remember any special procedures for enabling FC ports. I tried swapping the cables (no luck), but I have only two of them. We didn't intend to connect the system to the network using FC ports, so right now I'm short on their supply.

The main question is, how to view detailed FC port status information on the VNX system?

2 Posts

June 24th, 2014 06:00

As Dynamox just pointed out "please do not look inside of a fiber cable, free lasik is not what you want."

Use camera, most phone cameras will do, and take a picture of the cable end, or port. You should see a red light on one side. The side with red should be connected to the side with no light.  I assumed most ppl know this.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 24th, 2014 06:00

please do not look inside of a fiber cable, free lasik is not what you want.

4.5K Posts

June 24th, 2014 10:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

PS - point the end of the optical cable at a piece of white paper - you should see a red light. As grw pointed out, you need to use USM to install the new modules. When the array is shipped from the factory it has a fixed configuration and when you powered on the array with the new modules, it will not recognize them. Remove the modules, then run USM to install new hardware and insert the modules when told.

glen

12 Posts

June 24th, 2014 23:00

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The correct answer was given by grw. Initially I just plugged the modules into the system without following the proper procedure. After I installed the modules using USM, the system brought the links up.

For those who read this topic and have the same problem. Beware that pulling out the modules when the system is up and running leads to IMMEDIATE REBOOT of BOTH the storage processors. Pulling out the modules when the system is powered down and disconnected from power sources leads to an additional reboot during the first boot up process after the power has been restored.

8.6K Posts

June 30th, 2014 07:00

Bottom line – procedure and documentation exist for a good reason

No Events found!