Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2012 12:00

VNXe ISCI and Vmkernel ports

when configuring VNXe ISCSI. It shows all the vmkernel address for Host Access.

Whenver I try to remove the vmkernel address corresponding to vmotion, management, I am unable to.

Cant the esx host within the VNXe GUI just display the IP address which are purely storage related or it has to list everything?

45 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 10:00

Hi,

By default VNXe API integration with VMware discovers all Vmkernel IPs/IQN as well as management IP's(on ESX).

However you should be able to remove the mgmt and VMotion IP's on the unisphere and the issue you might be facing could be a GUI issue, please restart the management services and try one more time.

Moreover VNXe/ESX VMkernels are always recommended to be on a dedicated nw or on seperate VLAN. So, even if you have the IP's lised on the Unisphere it should not be able to communicate outside its network.

Regards,

Sri

9 Posts

July 28th, 2012 17:00

Thanks for the response but I am thinking this is a bug of some sort.

Yes, they are all separate VLANs. It is still confusing for clients when they see all the addresses.

Also, if one uses the VSI, it also 'presents' "Datastore and SnapShot" access to those addresses you don't want to use.

I have used this process to try and remove the unwanted IPs but it doesn't work:

Going to Settings - Shared Folder Server Settings- ASA

Select 'enable access on a per-host basis

Click 'configure Host Access'

When I try to remove the vmotion and other unrelated IP addresses

It ignores the process when I click OK.

Is this a bug?

45 Posts

July 31st, 2012 05:00

Hi Sammy,

Have you already tried restarting the management software and then removing the IP's?

To restart the management software follow the below procedure:

1. Login into Unisphere.

2. Click on "Settings" and select "Service system"

3. Select "Restart Management software" and execute service action

Regards,

Sri

No Events found!