Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2016 01:00

VNXe3200 Storage Pool Raid 10 Configuration

We have a VNXe3200 with 19 x 10k RPM 900 GB SAS Disk:-

4 already used by the OS

15 x Disk is for RAID Data.

We want to leave at least 1 x spare SAS Disk

what is the best raid group 10 configuration for the storage pool??

If I do a 2 x (3 + 3) ~ 12 Disk, that would leave 3 spare.

Is there a better Raid Group configuration???

Is it ok to do a (3 + 3) + (4 + 4) Raid 10 with 14 disk and leaving 1 spare??

But I am not sure if the mixing of (3+3) + (4+4) would have any performance issue.

Thanks for any advise and comment.

Also, we are told by our Vendor for NOT to include those 4 x OS disk into any Raid Configuration, why is that a best practise of wasting the 4 x OS disk that still has 80% capacity free???

November 4th, 2016 06:00

It's been a best practice to not mix either drive sizes or drive speeds, as they can create hot-spots on the private raid groups in the pools, which can lead to performance variations.

The recommendation for the OS/vault disks is to make sure that adequate resources are always available for system/os tasks.

Have a flip through the best practice docs for more details

https://support.emc.com/docu55593_VNXe3200_Best_Practices_For_Performance_-_Applied_Best_Practices_Guide.pdf?language=en…

November 3rd, 2016 05:00

I would probably do a 2 x (3+3).

You can use the OS disks, it's just suggested to not place demanding workloads on them.

With the remaining disks, I'd use 1 to make a 4+1 R5 (with the 4 OS disks ) and then you have 2 left as spares.

There will be a reduced capacity as the OS disks (0:3) have space reserved for the system data.

77 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 18:00

Thanks for the very helpful advise.

Is there any reason of NOT to mix (4+4) with (3+3) raid 10 configuration?

For NOT placing demanding workloads on the OS disk, is it because for the safety measure of protecting the OS data or the OS disk itself sometimes could be busy for handling OS operation???

No Events found!