Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2011 11:00

configure VNX the same as existing CLARiiON for migration

Hello All,

Customer is  migrating from the old clariion( CX700)  to the new VNX system( VNX5100).

They would like the VNX configure the same as their existing CLARiiON.

After I create Luns (same Size and mapping as old Clariion), customer will setup a host base mirror on UNIX and create a new Datastore on the VNX.

I would like to know certain things to make sure i configure the VNX Correctly-

1) can I use the pool to create Luns or do I have to create RG and carve out luns from there?

a) I will carve out the Luns of the same size as that of clariion Luns

b) Create the Storage Groups similiar to that OLd one and assing LUNs accordingly.

Hope thats all I need to do ; there're Clones and snap Luns created on Old Clariion  and I don't think that require any different way of set up on VNX>

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the steps.

2)For the purpose of migration - I am keeping all the new Lun ID and LUN name similar to the old one ( clariion)

Is there anything else i need to check on the VNX for migration ( using Host based mirroring)?

Now comes the Fabric Part:

This is a 2 fabric design -> I need to Copy the old zoning configuration to the new switches and change the cable to the new switches.

Can any one help me understand how this  can be done on Brocade switches?

On the Old Fabric one is Mcdata,other is Brocade  but on the new both will be Brocade.Very Much appreciate if some one can elaborate how this set up can be done to accomplish the Fabric part.

Thanks In advance.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 1st, 2011 11:00

1) it depends   . Does this customer have plans to implement FAST ? If yes then you need to consider using pools. What about performance ?

Prepare your customer to modify some of their scripts as clone id may change.

3) Fabric - so you have fabric A and fabric B ..one is McData and one is Brocade ?

1K Posts

November 1st, 2011 12:00

For #1, you can use Storage Pools or RAID Groups or both. As long as the LUN size is the same size or larger you will be OK.

For #2, nothing else. Just make sure the LUNs are the same size or greater.

The fabric question is a bit tricky. You can ISL McData and Brocade switches but you have to change the interop mode which will wipe the switch config. I suggest you export the zoning info and work in Excel on creating new aliases and zones for the Brocade. I can send you a sample excel document that I have which creates aliases and zones based on the alias names and WWPN's that you input in Excel if you want.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

About the fabric -

yes thats what i have been told (One Mcdata other Brocade),but i will have the confirmation tomorrow after the call with customer.

Thanks for the help!

that's odd configuration if it's truly like that. Like Ernes said you can export existing configuration and do some scripting. I would write a perl/bash script to parse existing config and then use that as an input for your new config. Some rely on Excel trickery

1K Posts

Unfortunately I cannot upload a file here. Sending you a message right now so that I can email it to you.

261 Posts

Hi Ernes - Thanks for the suggestion. So i am on right track from the storage side.

I will get more clarity on the fabric part tomorrow.Also,it would  be great  if you could share the sample excel document that you have to create aliases and zones  .

Thnaks again!

261 Posts

Hi Dynamox -I haven't got much detail- Have a call with customer tomorrow and will be doing the configuration the next day.

I only have the SP collect from the OLD clariion sent to me. Waiting for the field installation to complete before i  can get the VNX sp collects.

The only thing i am asked to do at this point is  to configure the VNX similar to clarrion.So i am just trying to figure out what are the things I need to prepare for this activity.

Appreciate if you can let me know a little bit more the VNX side set for this.

About the fabric -

yes thats what i have been told (One Mcdata other Brocade),but i will have the confirmation tomorrow after the call with customer.

Thanks for the help!

8.6K Posts

November 1st, 2011 13:00

I would suggest to look at the VNX Fundamentals and VNX Performance best practices on Powerlink to learn about the differences between pools and traditional raidgroups so that you can make an informed decision on what to use.

If you don’t know the differences and don’t need the pool features I suggest to stick to traditional raidgroups.

Rainer

No Events found!