Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2013 05:00

VPLEX Close to Storage

We are strungling with rackspace for our new EMC equipments based on VMAX and VPLEX. So, Rackspace is an issue here. My questions are: Is VPLEX connected directly to VMAX and what is the max distance of the fibers allowed. In other words should it be wise putting those two racks (VPLEX and VMAX) next to each other.

November 13th, 2013 21:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "VPLEX".

VPLEX

211 Posts

November 14th, 2013 01:00

It makes sence, but it's an asumption Rob. I need to be sure. Any info on that?

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

November 14th, 2013 01:00

I'm no VPLEX expert, but my guess is that you need to stay within the limits of the patch fibers you're using, just like your hosts. As long as you don't place your VPLEX miles away from your array I wouldn't worry too much. Keep it somewhere in the neighborhood, so if that's max 10, 15 racks from the array you are fine.

226 Posts

November 14th, 2013 05:00

VPLEX backend and frontend ports are cables to your FC switches. The BE ports are zoned to your storage arrays, and the FE ports are zoned to your hosts. There are no explicit distance requirements for VPLEX Local FC cabling that I'm aware of, beyond the standard distance limits for 8gbit multimode FC -- 50 meters for 8gbit on 50 micron OM2 cables, or 150 meters for 8gbit on 50 micron OM3 cables.

Sent from my iPhone

211 Posts

Thanks guys

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

How paranoid can you be?

Did it ever matter if a fiber patch was 10m or 50m?

But you're right, it's a safe assumption. Let's wait a bit more to see if somebody jumps in and acknowledges this. But if I was allowed to place bets, I'd do it. Distance doesn't matter as long as it's only fiber patches that connect the two (taking the supported distances into account).

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

November 18th, 2013 01:00

Enjoy that VPLEX of yours!

No Events found!