Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2016 00:00

How RAID Works on EMC Vspex Blue

Hello,

I am trying to get a technical doc which explains the RAID functionality of VSPEX Blue, but all documents I am coming across is like hiding this RAID concept.  Anyone having a link which explain RAID for VSPEX Blue, kindly let me have it.

Kind Regards

Wassim

11 Posts

March 30th, 2016 07:00

So the important point to note is that VSPEX Blue / VxRail do not use RAID, as they use VMware's VSAN technology for an object-based, clustered/ shared, policy-driven, distributed storage platform. The ESXi operating system operates VSAN at the kernel level, and simply uses the local SSD/HDD disks as JBOD, and the VSAN code stores numbers of copies, and stripes across disks/hosts based on storage policies. All data is stored as objects.

So I would be looking for VMware documentation on VSAN technology to have better chance at finding such document.

Here is a reputable 3rd party website with a primer on VSAN: www.yellow-bricks.com/2013/08/26/introduction-vmware-vsphere-virtual-san/

There is plenty of literature on VSAN (vSphere 5.5 and 6.0 implementations) available today from many sources. VMware may have a white paper somewhere.

This VMware document is an example of What's new in VSAN 6.2:  www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_Whats_New.pdf

The VSPEX Blue uses VSAN 5.5, while the newer VxRail platform ships with VSAN 6

They discuss RAID like features in the What's New doc, but still important to understand VSAN is object-based storage architecture and does not actually implement RAID protocols underneath.

(Note: Above site links are not EMC sites)

March 30th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for your time and reply. I was also starting to look for the VSAN technology on VMware. Your links provided will help me a lot.

Regards

Wassim

No Events found!