Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2016 08:00

Data on VMWare Tools and Hardware Version in SRM

I'm attempting to write a report that shows our VMs and their VMware Tools and Hardware levels.  This report will be used to check compliance in our efforts to stay current in both.

I've added a column for the "toolvrs" property in the table I'm using for the report, but it only comes back with "guestToolsCurrent", "guestToolsNeedUpgrade", or "guestToolsUnmanaged".  Is there a way I can see the actual version the VM is using?  I tried adding a value column with "name=='toolvrs" filter, but got nothing.

Also, is there a property that lists out the VM hardware version?

Thanks much,

Tom

2 Intern

• 

166 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 00:00

Hi Tom,

SRM doesn't collect the VM tool version. It only gets the toolVersionStatus.

Adding the version can be easily done. I opened an enhancement request to support it.

Stay tuned ;-)

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 06:00

Thanks.  I'll try going straight to VMware for the data until SRM catches. up.

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 07:00

It looks like the vmvers property is what shows the VMware hardware version.  Now to just get SRM to populate that field.

48 Posts

June 4th, 2016 22:00

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills...

Why would you wait two years for the enhancement request to get chewed up by the machine and probably never spat out when you can do this:

vim /opt/APG/Collecting/VMWare-Collector/vmware-vcenter/conf/vmware-collector.xml

Copy this line

Change it to

If you have distributed collector then you might want to do it to all of them...

restart the collector... you can be patient and see it tomorrow or you can wait 30 mins then run the import properties task.  Then in the fronted and just make a report that uses the new "toolver"  property ,

8 Posts

June 16th, 2016 09:00

Thanks.

You wouldn't happen to know what the property line for "vmvers" would look like, would you?  It's a defined property for a VM, but I can't find it in vmware-collector.xml.

48 Posts

June 16th, 2016 13:00

I dont know, I can see from my backup files it used to exist but I can't see what it looks like. I assume it was removed from the product at some point last time I could see it was 2013.

I did find it in the Health collector file

vmvers[JVM Version]

Does that property exists on new VMs or only old VMs?

8 Posts

June 17th, 2016 08:00

The property still shows up in the list for all VMware VM's, but it's not getting populated.  Guess it must have been deprecated.

No Events found!